Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2006 bad knock

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2006 bad knock

VIDEO

here is the premise smarty SW5 at this point

started to leave work, made it 4 blocks to traffic light, it was fine maybe a little rough to start, but ran normally
    made it through a traffic light and heard a POOF then bam bam bam you hear in the video,

got drug back to work, set STOCK with Smarty, and took video,

No check engine lights till it was set to stock, then 0243 P0243 is wastegate valve circut malfunction was triggered. (I have a non-electronic wastegate on my turbo)

@Polaraco @AccurateDiesel

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

See what happens when you want 600 HP? @Double R Diesel

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Likes oneshotkyle liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Dead cylinder for sure...with the sudden onset and that much noise, I suspect a failure in the valve train. Pull the valve cover off and see if anything looks outta wack from the top side.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

@AccurateDiesel
    Now that I hear it better, I'm with Tim. Get new cross over tubes too. You know where the torque wrenches are.

Work real clean. Before you disassemble, power wash your the indents where the lines go, get them as clean as possible, especially the ones in the back. I would get in them with a brush and clean them with engine cleaner and then pressure wash them as best you can. #6 tends to hide a build up of greasy crud out of site. Since you have to braille the tubes in, there's a chance you can catch some crud on the end of the tube. Could screw the injector. If in doubt, take the tube out, clean it, and start over inserting it. I did my number 6 several times. It lived.

Make sure the oil is out of the injector retainer bolt holes. You could hydraulic the bolt and break it. Keep an eye on the valve spanners. If you recall, I lost one, never to be seen again. It's not in the motor. . . .

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Double R Diesel View Post
    Dead cylinder for sure...with the sudden onset and that much noise, I suspect a failure in the valve train. Pull the valve cover off and see if anything looks outta wack from the top side.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com
    I had him feel the ports on the exhaust. He said they all feel the same. No blow by and lots of smoke.

We just had someone have his valve train fall apart on another truck a few weeks ago. see if you can find it for the results

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    @AccurateDiesel
    Now that I hear it better, I'm with Tim. Get new cross over tubes too. You know where the torque wrenches are.

Work real clean. Before you disassemble, power wash your the indents where the lines go, get them as clean as possible, especially the ones in the back. I would get in them with a brush and clean them with engine cleaner and then pressure wash them as best you can. #6 tends to hide a build up of greasy crud out of site. Since you have to braille the tubes in, there's a chance you can catch some crud on the end of the tube. Could screw the injector. If in doubt, take the tube out, clean it, and start over inserting it. I did my number 6 several times. It lived.

Make sure the oil is out of the injector retainer bolt holes. You could hydraulic the bolt and break it. Keep an eye on the valve spanners. If you recall, I lost one, never to be seen again. It's not in the motor. . . .
    HOLD ON THERE

Ray just called and i relistened to this. Back to my original thoughts. Valves. It's popping through the intake. I couldn't hear that over the phone. After I relistened to this, Ray is right. Run up here and grab the crank shaft tool
    @F350Cummins

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I will pull into it in the morning and finish after work.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

10. Top Of Page | #8
    Permanent Vacation AccurateDiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

Just found this! Did not get the notification again... That noise hurts my ears even on the video! I agree that valve train is certainly a possibility worth investigating - ultimately the valve cover has to come off any way. Steve, that was an excellent write-up on cleaning before disassembly. I wish you could work here and give that talk to everyone we sell injectors to. It would save a lot of headaches!

11. Likes oneshotkyle liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

@AccurateDiesel please check your spam folder.

Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!

"The grass is greener where you water it"

13. Top Of Page | #10
    Permanent Vacation AccurateDiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

Nothing in Spam!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast