Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  15

Thread: Tidy tank

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Tidy tank

HavING issues with rust in my tidy tank...got a tidy tank from a relative for free..400 liter and thaught I cleaned it pretty good...LOL apperantly not has any one cleaned the rust out of a tank before...and what did u use...I now have a 4 micron filter on the tank but getting a lot of residual debris and fuel still looks dirty....what ticks me off is I just threw out 100 liters of fuel and really hated that but figured it's a lot cheaper than replacing the injection pump....info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Throw some large nuts and bolts or a piece of chain in the tank and slosh it around with some solvent.

www.eastwood.com has a fuel tank liner/coating kit. Follow the instructions to the letter and end of story. Last for years @Aaron

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AnOldBiker, Aaron, dmuney liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I have never tried this with a tank but it works great on rusted parts (cleans them up like new) 1 part black strap molasses 3 or 4 parts water. This is a slow process but may work.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Aaron liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Dump in a bunch of Coca-Cola that soda will eat through rust like you wouldn't believe and if you drink it you might not anymore after seeing how clean the tank is after you dump the soda out.

05 2500 4dr shortbed 4" lift on 35's, 4" straight pipe, Afe intake

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

There are many different products to clean the inside of that tank. But if you treat it like @Polaraco said, make sure it is dry before treating. I've used it before and it works, but if it isn't throughly dry, you'll have issues. Just cleaning it isn't enough, if not sealed properly, rust can return.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Polaraco, dmuney liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    There are many different products to clean the inside of that tank. But if you treat it like @Polaraco said, make sure it is dry before treating. I've used it before and it works, but if it isn't throughly dry, you'll have issues. Just cleaning it isn't enough, if not sealed properly, rust can return.
    Agreed

Sent by me

12. Likes Polaraco, Aaron liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dmuney View Post
    Dump in a bunch of Coca-Cola that soda will eat through rust like you wouldn't believe and if you drink it you might not anymore after seeing how clean the tank is after you dump the soda out.

05 2500 4dr shortbed 4" lift on 35's, 4" straight pipe, Afe intake
    Thx...I'll have to try this I've seen other people use it on bumpers to get the rust of with good results...completely slipped my mind...LOL age becomes us....LOL

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

14. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes dmuney liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I've use a product called metal rescue for my motor cycle tank. It really works well for my tank. The only only down side is that i had to take my tank off my Bike. So i would imagine you would have to do the same.

16. Likes Aaron liked this post