Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: 1st gen crewcab step bars....

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

1st gen crewcab step bars....

Over the last 3 days I have been working on getting my step bars installed on the crewcab. I bought these a couple years ago...they were damaged and I got them super cheap...I think $175 shipped to my door....regularly around here close to $600! They are made by "Go Rhino" and were for a 3rd Gen Dodge crewcab I believe.

But the way the doors and body is built I had to use them on the opposite sides...Pass for Drivers, and visa versa.

2. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Now to the install.....

I had to figure out brackets and how I was going to mount them, since they did not come with brackets, nor would they have worked due to fact that the bars were being used on the opposite sides.

So after thinking and pondering this, and looking at how others have mounted steps and bars, I decided to use a bunch of 2" angle iron.

I cut 12 pieces or 2" angle at 8" long and welded 2 pieces of them together to make the brackets from the body to the steps.

Drilled 6 holes in each bracket and used some self tapping screws to hold them in place.

And once in place I screwed 2 more from the front side through the pinch weld seam at the bottom of the rockers, into the bracket....very stable and secure now!

4. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Once the brackets were in place I had to mount more angle iron to the steps themselves. Had to mount them with clamps and then drill holes to line up with the holes in the brackets on the steps. I also added an extra bolt through the top of the step mounting brackets.

Coat of brush on Tremclad and then mounting the angle iron brackets.

The idea was that the flat brackets off the body, and then the angle iron on the brackets, would give me a nice flat surface to get the steps positioned easily. Just clamp them in place once everything looked right, and then drill holes to mount them permanently.

6. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Once I was actually able to hold them up in place I found that the front section of the step bar tubing was to long, so started by cutting off 4".

I eventually had to cut off another 2" and then grind the front edge flat to clear the mud flaps.

Clamped in place.....

Drilled and bolted in....

8. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

And all done....

I like how the rear section (actually front section... ) of the step bars follow the body line of the cab!

A bit of flex in the steps...but I think it's because of the thickness of the long angle iron piece on steps...seems to have a bit of rotational flex....the body to step brackets don't move at all.

Over all Very happy with how it turned out!

10. Likes mackman08, Power247, AnOldBiker liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Turned out really good man. Looks like they could have come from the factory that way. 👍

Greg
    2012 | 2500 | CCLB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

12. Thanks thrashingcows thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Re: 1st gen crewcab step bars....

Way sick!

14. Top Of Page | #8
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: 1st gen crewcab step bars....

I like ...

Might I suggest end caps for the tubes ?
    My friend made just tube steps for front to back and the ends were open. Debris, (like dirt water, snow, ice/slush) collected in the tubes, them rust.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan