Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: Do the Fass or Air Dog pumps really save injectors and help mpg

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Do the Fass or Air Dog pumps really save injectors and help mpg

OK I need a real honest opinion. I have read and studied all the propaganda about how a pump and filter system as exampled by Fass and Air Dog will help save injectors by eliminating air and only pure fuel going to the injectors. I currently use a Baldwin water separator, and Donaldson 2 micron filters for my other Cummins powered pickups. I recently acquired a 2009 6.7. Fully deleted H &S tuner with Transmission unlocked but only use a box tune. I use this truck on my quail and deer leases for the four months I am in Texas. My question: Should I buy either the Fass or Air Dog complete kit with fuel straw in the tank or just install the two filters mentioned below the driver seat. Do these 100 gph kits really help protect the injectors and being efficient help fuel mileage?

2. Thanks HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN thanked for this post
    Likes HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

I had to look at your profile to see what you have. Common rail trucks are more susceptible to damage from poor filtration or water. The dual filtration offers better water separation and definitely easier servicing. You have a choice of filters down to 1 Micron, which is what I use.

Does the concept give you better economy? Hard to say. The trucks run a bit smoother because the air is purged at the pump. In tank pumps tend to cavitate and put small air droplets in the system. But you already read that propaganda. Having run several external pumps I say they are good.

I had an Air Dog on my 08. The filters rusted in weeks, twice, and over whelmed my secondary filter. I was using the Air Dog filters on the pump and a Caterpillar cut in between that and the CP3. Air Dog didn't want to know anything and I never found a drop of water in the system. That said, I am a FASS customer. When I ran into a pressure drop problem, FASS was right there. Together, we found the problem. Thank you FASS.

That turned out to be the BIOfuel blends we are all buying at the pumps has issues at 40*F. It starts to cause the bio to extract wax and starts to plug the filters. It doesn't do any harm, but eventually the pump pressure starts to drop. If you live in a cold climate, get the fuel heater option. Or you could be cheap like me, and make one. No problems yet! My heater cost about $35.00.

Hope that helped you

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Polaraco, I read about your problems with the Air Dog System. What a bummer. I pretty much decided in favor of Fass because of the push on fittings they incorporate that I've used before on my other trucks. It looks like a much better engineered system. Which 1 micron filter are you using to the CP3? I guess my question is I've gotten by with the in tank pumps pushing fuel through the Baldwin water separator, on a home made bracket just above the transfer case cross member then to the OEM factory filter and finally a Donaldson 2 micron (I believe Donaldson makes the CAT filters) just before the CP3 on a bracket above the power steering pump. Is the external pump really necessary to achieve the fuel pressure? I've been running this system for several years and no problem. However, I also just found a leak on top of the fuel tank, so I might have to either pull the tank or the bed to fix it and might as well install the straw and aftermarket pump then. Thank you in advance for your insight.

5. Thanks HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Do the Fass or Air Dog pumps really save injectors and help mpg

The stock lift pump will work. I run the same filter setup and have had 0 issues with pressure. One thing I did do was a big line kit from Glacier Diesel.

I have a pressure sensor rigged up right before the CP3 pump and it's always had good pressure going to the CP3

Video of the factory pump after 3 filter (stock, Donaldson, Baldwin)

2012 Lonestar Edition Mineral Gray 3500 DRW CrewCab 4x4 6.7/68RFE 3.73, 125,000 miles and climbing, Revmax Valvebody, AFE Bladerunner Intake horn, Michellin LTX AT2, CHR550 Lockpick, Mopar Kicker Speaker Upgrades, Mopar Kicker 10" Sub, Synergy Steering Box Brace, Edge CTS Insight

7. Thanks HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I may be thinking wrong, and since I'm an old coot, that is very possible. But for a long life to your CP3 and your injectors should have basic concerns. With you using a reliable source of fresh fuel and not water in their storage tank, a good running lift pump in or outside of your tank, a good filter set up that will allow you to change filter as needed easily, be able to check for water from your fuel / water seperator filter when needed, (to me) leaving your original fuel filter housing on to use the water indicator, and a fuel supply system WITH OUT any way it can suck in air ... is very important. It seems to me that the stock lift pump was designed to supply the necessary flow and pressure needed for your engine fuel system. As long as your supply is 'clean', 'water free' and as said, 'not allowed to suck in air', should be good.

Now as for Fass / AirDog, I believe there is nothing wrong with an increase flow of fuel circulating through your fuel system. The stock flow or this increase flow will keep the CP3 cool or cooler, extending the life. Can they have air issues with that much flow ? These and stock can suck air if there is 'any' source of supply. A low tank can allow air for either system. A nick in the line at the right place can suck air in either. A loose fitting.

I may be wrong, but it appears to me both systems are good, but one is eaiser to change out by not dropping the tank and is possible to have higher, non cycling fuel pressure that could be beneficial to the fuel system. People can do as they feel is right, but when my in tank lift pump indicates is going bad, I will drop the tank once and put an inline pump on, but not until then.

9. Thanks HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

this makes total sense. Thank you and I really like the video on youtube that shows the commercial kit install. I had to make my own brackets and cut the hoses, scrounge for specialized fittings etc. This kit has it all and fits above the cross member which protects the filters. Thanks again.

11. Thanks HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN thanked for this post
    Likes Hollnagel, HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Re: Do the Fass or Air Dog pumps really save injectors and help mpg

The FAAS pump with a sump kit feeds my Cummins. It smoothed the idle right out and my fuel mileage increased slightly also.

13. Thanks HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN thanked for this post
    Likes HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN, Slopoke67 liked this post