Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine monitoring

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Engine monitoring

Hey group I have a two part question, I know adding a tuner can/will void warranty. What I'm looking for is a way to monitor what's going on with the engine. Could I use a bully dog for example just as a monitor? And later on once my warranty is about up I'd like to do the deletes, could I use the same tuner in addition to some other software for the delete?

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I have a smarty for my tuner in my old truck. But I do like to see what is happening in temps and such. So I installed a Bully Dog WatchDog. All it does is monitors the signals that goes through the OBD2. I'm not sure if they make it anymore, but someone must have something like it. The dealership can't screw with you with that. So far it have been better for me than installing all kinds of gauges throughout my truck. Just an FYI.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Just a suggestion, but I bought a Bluetooth ODB reader off Amazon and paired it with my Smartphone using the Torque App. The app was I think $3.00 and the reader was under 20.00. You can even use the app to clear any codes you may have, and it works with other vehicles, I used it on my wifes van to check codes and fix them.

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I use an Edge Insight as my monitor. I also purchased the pillar mount to give it a clean factory look and added the license plate back up camera as well.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, turboguy327 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I also have the Edge CTS with pillar mount and really like it. I do want to upgrade to the CTS2 at some point.

Greg
    2012 | 2500 | CCLB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TH-64 View Post
    I use an Edge Insight as my monitor. I also purchased the pillar mount to give it a clean factory look and added the license plate back up camera as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    I also have the Edge CTS with pillar mount and really like it. I do want to upgrade to the CTS2 at some point.

Greg
    2012 | 2500 | CCLB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel
    WHAT YEAR!

I have the Insite as well. I added the EGT Probe and Turbo Timer. I will be adding fuel pressure and when I am rich and famous, the back up camera

Depending on the vintage of your truck will depend on that options you will need to add.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
    Hey group I have a two part question, I know adding a tuner can/will void warranty. What I'm looking for is a way to monitor what's going on with the engine. Could I use a bully dog for example just as a monitor? And later on once my warranty is about up I'd like to do the deletes, could I use the same tuner in addition to some other software for the delete?
    FYI. I really like my CTS Insight and Raceme Pro tuner on my 2012, but be careful if you go with an H&S Tuner later on... the box tune egt's run in the scary hot range while towing.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #8
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    WHAT YEAR!

I agree with this question, even some old trucks are sold from car lot with a warrantee at times.
    And recommending tuners, without this knowledge, some won't work.
    Like the RaceMe units don't make a unit to fit my year.

Homebrew, what year do you have ?????

12. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

You are right @AnOldBiker. That's just what I've found with my 2012 tuner experience. However an Edge Insight should work to monitor any vehicle back to 1993 I think. I have an extra cable to check and clear codes for friends when needed.

13. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Just got to thinking... Can an Ultra be used for guages only until one decides to delete?

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast