Thanks Thanks:  31
Likes Likes:  37
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diesel Fuel Treatment

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Diesel Fuel Treatment

Who here uses fuel treatment.

It's not something I've done in the past, but I am considering it this go around.

My local lube place is a Schaefer dealer, and I have thought about the Schaefer fuel treatment.

Am I wrong to consider a bit extra cetane and all the benefits of a good additive?

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Diesel Fuel Treatment

Only additive I use on a regular basis is 2 stroke oil. Then the only other additive I use when needed is Power Service in the white bottle, like last Febuary the we had an ice storm leaving 1 1/2" of ice everywhere for three weeks. But on a year round basis, it seems to me it's not beneficial for me to bother.

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Diesel Fuel Treatment

I have used Stanadyne the last 2 years. Truck definitely idled smoother with it than without... especially when running winter blend diesel. I switched to Archoil this fall based on the testimony of a few guys on here. Truck runs just as smooth and I am seeing about a 1 mpg increase over Stanadyne. Not having any luck with mobile search right now but there is a great thread on here that is worth the read.

Greg
    2012 | 2500 | CCLB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Diesel Fuel Treatment

Found it!
    http://igotacummins.com/showpost.php?p=25987

Greg

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Diesel Fuel Treatment

Stanadyne and power service the only ones I use regular. I tried optilube once just to much of a hassle ordering and paying extra shipping.

2012 Lonestar Edition Mineral Gray 3500 DRW CrewCab 4x4 6.7/68RFE 3.73, 125,000 miles and climbing, Revmax Valvebody, AFE Bladerunner Intake horn, Michellin LTX AT2, CHR550 Lockpick, Mopar Kicker Speaker Upgrades, Mopar Kicker 10" Sub, Synergy Steering Box Brace, Edge CTS Insight

9. Thanks cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
    Likes cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Diesel Fuel Treatment

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    Only additive I use on a regular basis is 2 stroke oil. Then the only other additive I use when needed is Power Service in the white bottle, like last Febuary the we had an ice storm leaving 1 1/2" of ice everywhere for three weeks. But on a year round basis, it seems to me it's not beneficial for me to bother.
    Sorry Pop I learned something about the 2 cycle oil. I didn't want to believe it myself, but i proved it to myself. Since common rails are more critical about dirt, we tend to use finer filters.

2 Cycle is filtered out and eventually fills the filter media. That explains why I never saw any appreciable gains from it. @Canadiandiesel argued it with me. Man knows his shtuff

I went to the archoil.com fuel additive and DID see a difference. And the cost per tank is allot less than mose additives. I know @Wildkarrd RRD uses it too. He's been very happy.

And they say you can't teach old dogs new tricks. LOL

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

11. Thanks cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Diesel Fuel Treatment

Quote Originally Posted by oneshotkyle View Post
    Who here uses fuel treatment. It's not something I've done in the past but I am considering it this go around. My local lube place is a scheafer dealer and I have thought about the scheafer fuel treatment. Am I wrong to consider a little extra cetane and all the benefits of a good additive?
    Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    I have used Stanadyne the last 2 years. Truck definitely idled smoother with it than without... especially when running winter blend diesel. I switched to Archoil this fall based on the testimony of a few guys on here. Truck runs just as smooth and I am seeing about a 1 mpg increase over Stanadyne. Not having any luck with mobile search right now but there is a great thread on here that is worth the read.

Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollnagel View Post
    Stanadyne and power service the only ones I use regular. I tried optilube once just to much of a hassle ordering and paying extra shipping.
    http://www.igotacummins.com/showthre...hlight=archoil

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

13. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Diesel Fuel Treatment

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Sorry Pop I learned something about the 2 cycle oil. I didn't want to believe it myself, but i proved it to myself. Since common rails are more critical about dirt, we tend to use finer filters.

2 Cycle is filtered out and eventually fills the filter media. That explains why I never saw any appreciable gains from it. @Canadiandiesel argued it with me. Man knows his shtuff

I went to the archoil.com fuel additive and DID see a difference. And the cost per tank is allot less than mose additives. I know @Wildkarrd RRD uses it too. He's been very happy.

And they say you can't teach old dogs new tricks. LOL

I'm always willing to try something new if it seems to really work. But ran into a lot of snake oil out there. I've cut open my final filter in the past to see what was actually being caught. I knew the media would be stained from the diesel and the 12 stroke oil, but that was all. It wasn't stained that bad for 10k of use. If you have material your friend might of gave you, I'd like to read it. I can see the staining with any debris that would be in the fuel tank, but don't understand how a 2 or 3 micron fuel filter would separate out the oil from the fuel.

But before I think of buying anything (and you have to admit, 8oz for $50 ain't cheap) I'd have to wait until after I pay for all this holiday shopping. We have 5 grandkids and the wife always goes crazy this time of the year over them. All the local brick and mortar stores and UPS people know her on first name basis. And for a person who hates computers, she can run through website faster than electricity can flow through copper wire while inserting the credit card number without missing a beat. I'll look into it again after the dust settles.

Oh, and by the way. I have an old '06 where I need the lube for the lift pump and he has an '15 that built for the ULSD fuels. He doesn't need the 2 stroke.

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Diesel Fuel Treatment

I'm always willing to try something new if it seems to really work. But ran into a lot of snake oil out there. I've cut open my final filter in the past to see what was actually being caught. I knew the media would be stained from the diesel and the 12 stroke oil, but that was all. It wasn't stained that bad for 10k of use. If you have material your friend might of gave you, I'd like to read it. I can see the staining with any debris that would be in the fuel tank, but don't understand how a 2 or 3 micron fuel filter would separate out the oil from the fuel.

But before I think of buying anything (and you have to admit, 8oz for $50 ain't cheap) I'd have to wait until after I pay for all this holiday shopping. We have 5 grandkids and the wife always goes crazy this time of the year over them. All the local brick and mortar stores and UPS people know her on first name basis. And for a person who hates computers, she can run through website faster than electricity can flow through copper wire while inserting the credit card number without missing a beat. I'll look into it again after the dust settles.

Oh, and by the way. I have an old '06 where I need the lube for the lift pump and he has an '15 that built for the ULSD fuels. He doesn't need the 2 stroke.
    I didn't believe it either. I use 1 micron filters but I have a fass pump. I went that route to give me the flexibility of fuel filters and quicker changes. I change them twice a year, regardless to the mileage and keep the tank full to prevent condensation.

50 bucks sounds like allot, but you use very little per tank

17. Thanks cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Diesel Fuel Treatment

Ok, but I still don't understand how it removes the oil from the fuel. By the way, I do still have the in tank life pump, but I do have a dual filter unit that has screw on, pre-filter (8 micron) and a final filter (2 micron).

Now I grant you, 2 microns or even one is very, very tiny. But to separate out the 2 stroke oil molecules from the diesel molecules whould mean it would have to be smaller yet.
    And this filter would have to be able to distinguish between the two molecules, which are extremely similar to each other in the molecular carbon chain.

It has to be me, but with all the products available in the market for our trucks, even the products for the crude oil industry, I have yet to see anyone of them accomplish this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast