Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: can any1 help ?? having engine problems

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

can any1 help ?? having engine problems

I have a 2012 6.7l 137k mi on it, it has put in its work. Recently started losing power, the more I gave it fuel the slower it wud go. Then it went to knocking didn't sound like rod knocking, blew a big cloud of white an black smoke an started knocking more. I pulled the valve cover off found cylinders 4 an 6 rocker arms were not touching the push rods the bridge was Just laying in there next to the rocker 1 pushrod was bent ordered a pushrod an reinstalled it re torque everything an drove 1mile ran good just lacked power, then it went back to knocking, anyone had this problem ???? Is my cam shot ?? Can any1 help???????thanks ....

2. Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ogbign View Post
    ​ I have a 2012 6.7l 137k mi on it, it has put in its work. Recently started losing power, the more I gave it fuel the slower it wud go. Then it went to knocking didn't sound like rod knocking, blew a big cloud of white an black smoke an started knocking more. I pulled the valve cover off found cylinders 4 an 6 rocker arms were not touching the push rods the bridge was Just laying in there next to the rocker 1 pushrod was bent ordered a pushrod an reinstalled it re torque everything an drove 1mile ran good just lacked power, then it went back to knocking, anyone had this problem ???? Is my cam shot ?? Can any1 help???????thanks ....
    A wiped out cam is definitely a possibility, but a cam should last more than 137K miles. The easiest way to check is get a gauge that can measure travel or lift. Many cam degree kits for gassers have such a gauge with a magnetic base to attach it. Set it up so you measure the lift of each pushrod during can rotation. If you find some that are measuring way less than others (keep in mind lope specs may be different between intake and exhaust) that will tell you have some wiped out cam lobes.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Anyone had this problem before ? Any ideas what might be wrong ??

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Did you open up the valve cover to inspect the valve train after it started knocking the 2nd time? If so, find anything amiss?

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

no I havnt inspected it this time I assumed cylinders 4 an 6 looked the same probly bent pushrod an rocker arms not touching / the Same as it did the first time, but I may do this in just a few

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

the injectors shudnt have anything to do with it should it ??

8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

no I havnt inspected it this time I assumed cylinders 4 an 6 looked the same probly bent pushrod an rocker arms not touching / the Same as it did the first time, but I may do this in just a few
    Yes do that. Maybe take a few photos.

Does sound like valve train problems. That would explain the noise, white and black smoke, and lack of power.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

9. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

the injectors shudnt have anything to do with it should it ??
    Bad injectors can cause smoke, misfires, and poor performance, but they don't make a mechanical knock like metal banging on metal sound.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

10. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Ok I pulled it back apart, to my surprise cylinder 4 looked fine , cylinder 6 rocker was not touching the pushrod, the bridge is in the valley just laying there .I did take a few pics not sure how to post em tho

11. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Ok I pulled it back apart, to my surprise cylinder 4 looked fine , cylinder 6 rocker was not touching the pushrod, the bridge is in the valley just laying there .I did take a few pics not sure how to post em tho
    Something isn't right for sure. The rocker shouldn't be working loose that quick.

Maybe JJ can help with your pictures. @IGOTACUMMINS.COM

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast