Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  11
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: can any1 help ?? having engine problems

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

@Double R Diesel LLC that's great advice. It's probably time to rest valve lash( run the rack). If you have slack in the valve train it can definitely cause havoc specially if turning some higher rpms.

2. Likes DRD liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ogbign View Post
    Ok I pulled it back apart, to my surprise cylinder 4 looked fine , cylinder 6 rocker was not touching the pushrod, the bridge is in the valley just laying there .I did take a few pics not sure how to post em tho
    Use a hosting site such as photo bucket. Copy the IMG code and paste. It's odd considering you did have timing set correctly when setting valve lash right?

4. Likes DRD liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

I appreciate all halls help I've had it at the dealership too long an they can't help hell they couldnt find my truck wen I come to pick it up an lost key had to make new ones. I only drove it maybe a mile wen I put it back together cyl 6 I broke the bolt off in the head for the rocker arm didn't think I wud get it out but I did had to order the bolt . Just to double check any 1 no the torque the rockers should be torque to. 27lbs is the info I found ....

6. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

I only pulled the valve cover removed the rockers that wer not touching the. Put the bridges back on an retorqued them to 27lbs

7. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

An replaced 1 bent pushrod

8. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Always check your valve lash when doing any valve train work. Use a feeler gauge and check the lash between the rocker and bridge. Remember you set half the valves at TDC on the compression stroke on cylinder 1. Then rotate the engine 360 degrees and set the lash on the other half of the valves. Set the valve lash at .010" for the intake valves and .020" for the exhaust valves (.026" exhaust valve lash if the engine isn't running deleted.)

You kinda see what I'm talking about in my thread here where installed head studs and adjusted my valves...

http://www.igotacummins.com/showthread.php?p=36154

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

9. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/Bi...g.html?filters[user]=144418045&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

10. Likes DRD liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/Bi...g.html?filters[user]=144418045&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0
    Yes sir. She won't run good like that! Either you had too much lash from the start, or the rocker bolt isn't holding the rocker down, or the camshaft is trash.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

12. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

I did not do any of that, I took the truck to shop for rear brakes, got it back like this it has been lacking power for a month before tho, also it's a bone stock truck, I having had the egr cleaned either,

13. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

I did not do any of that, I took the truck to shop for rear brakes, got it back like this it has been lacking power for a month before tho, also it's a bone stock truck, I having had the egr cleaned either,
    Let us know what you find. I'm curious as well. I can tell you, since you mentioned it, the EGR is the slow early death of a diesel. Pumping soot back into an engine never fixes anything...

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

14. Thanks TX NIGHT TRAIN thanked for this post
    Likes TX NIGHT TRAIN liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast