Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cummins To End Partnership With Ram, Could This Be True?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Cummins To End Partnership With Ram, Could This Be True?

Over the years we have heard lots of rumors about this and that. Most of them you can dismiss pretty easily. One rumor that seems to be constantly coming up is that Ram (or Chrysler) is moving away from Cummins.

We have heard this rumor for over a decade on and off. Recently, a friend says that his buddy who works at a Cummins branch told him Cummins and Chrysler are no more after 2018.

Such an interesting comment and one that we would normally ignore. But being that he works at Cummins, we had to sit back and think about it a little. Recently, we have started seeing Ram advertise their gas engines more in the ¾ and 1 ton trucks. Their ads basically say there is no reason why a gas engine cannot do everything you need. In fact, I was in a hotel in Oklahoma for a photo shoot the first time I saw the commercial come on. It struck me as quite odd how they positioned their gas offerings.

I dismissed it, remembering the issues they had been having getting the Aisin transmission and moved on with my day. Around that time though, Ram was introducing their new 1500 with their EcoDiesel (not a Cummins). The engine has been very well received and Ram has actually increased their production volumes. (Ram pre-sold all 8,000 initial units in three days.)

About the same time, Nissan announces that they will be offering an all-new 5.0 V8 Cummins. Then, they showed up at the Chicago Auto Show with a 2.8L Cummins powered Frontier.

Shortly after, Toyota announced they will also be offering the 5.0 Cummins. This has been the year of major announcements from vehicle manufacturers announcing partnerships with Cummins.

Could all of this success strengthen Cummins position in the marketplace enough that they would be willing to walk away from Chrysler if they don’t meet their contract terms? We reached out to Cummins to find out more information.

Jon Mills, Director of External Communications for Cummins had this to say, “We have a great 25+ year relationship with Ram Trucks. We’ve produced more than two million engines for use in the 2500/3500 pickups and 3500/4500/5500 chassis cabs and look forward to a bright future.” He had no comment about when the current contract date ended with Ram.

Chrysler’s EcoDiesel
    That led us to wondering if maybe the decision would be in Ram’s hands.

OEM’s work pretty far in advance and we could be seeing the initial signs of Chrysler positioning itself away from Cummins. The EcoDiesel is, currently, being offered in the Grand Cherokee and there is a rumor that next year we will see a Jeep Wrangler powered by the EcoDiesel (Chrysler had no comment about this rumor). 2018 is far enough off, that even more non-Cummins diesel powerplants could work their way into Chrysler production vehicles. This would help to disassociate Ram and Cummins, as people could start saying I drive a “X” model with a diesel, instead of I drive a Cummins. The more diesel power plants sitting on dealer lots, the less likely someone is to identify the engine manufacturer and more likely they are to identify the type of engine. Could this be part of Fiat’s grand plan (Fiat acquired Chrysler in 2009)?

The Grand Cherokee already has an EcoDiesel option and the Jeep Wrangler is rumored to be getting one in 2016.
    We reached out to Kimberly Shults, who handles the PR for the Southwest Region for FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automobiles). She had this to say, “We certainly deny any such rumor. In fact, we just celebrated 25 years with Cummins and look forward to more shared success.”

Schultz went on to point out that 10 million B-series Cummins engines have been produced and a little more than 2 million are within the frame rails of Ram trucks. She continued by pointing out that if their relationship was on the rocks, they wouldn’t be putting Cummins’ logo on the outside of their trucks. Unfortunately, when we asked about the current contract end date, she had to inform us that as a corporate policy, they do not comment on future products or contracts.

So, here lies the issue we have with rumors, especially on the internet; without being able to back up what is being said with documentation, they are just that, rumors on the internet. This certainly is the case with the Ram and Cummins separating. We have been in this industry a long time and we hear this rumor all the time. Even if it were true, anyone who knows would be under a non-disclosure contract and couldn’t say anything. So, those who speculate, are just spreading gossip about things they “think” and positioning them as factual.

We could have easily left out the quotes from the manufacturers and ran this article as it. It would have left many people assuming the rumor is true. Instead, we sat on this article for almost a week until we heard from the both companies. This is the type of documentation that is required to prove or disprove a comment. So, for all your Ram fans out there, don’t worry, a Cummins will still be offered in your beloved truck.

By Chad Westfall : http://www.dieselarmy.com/news/cummi...-this-be-true/

"The grass is greener where you water it"

2. Thanks Dale's Super Store, 2012cummins thanked for this post
    Likes Dale's Super Store, 2012cummins liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Permanent Vacation Dale's Super Store's Avatar

User Info Menu

Only time will tell.

4. Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I sure hope this is just rumors.... I can't imagine Fiat has a better engine for the HD Rams.... Do they?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

6. Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Well I've heard there would be a new generation Ram HD for the 2018 year model, so that certainly would be an opportunity for the truck to be designed for different power trains.

I hope Ram and Cummins will always be...but if Chrysler continues on with their Fiat partnership the alternative medium duty diesel isn't so bad. Fiat has been making a 6.7L inline 6 for some time now which is pretty much a rebranded 6.7L Cummins.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

8. Likes Power247, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I've heard this for years as many have.
    But I do know this.

The ONLY reason I bought a Ram, it had the Big "C" in it.
    If Dodge stops using the Big "C", then I'll be looking else where.
    I only go with the proven winner.

10. Likes IGOTACUMMINS, DRD, Steinbrenner liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I hate to see them split but my truck is the last truck I'm buying which why I bought the cummins last forever and I can get in the million miles club

05 24v 5.9 Cummins 3500 4x4 2in levelin kit 8 ft bed "Dixie"

12. Likes Power247 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

If I'm not mistaken the FPT 6.7 has been in marine use here for quite some time. Have read good things about it. No first hand experience though.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Power247 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TX NIGHT TRAIN View Post
    If I'm not mistaken the FPT 6.7 has been in marine use here for quite some time. Have read good things about it. No first hand experience though.
    FPT 6.7L are being used in agricultural and forestry equipment. I've seen a FPT 6.7 next to a 6.7 Cummins. Almost completely identical. My understanding is that Fiat and Cummins engineers worked together in times in the past. I know the FPT 6.7 has been able to meet EPA tier 4 final standards for off road diesels with only SCR and a catalyst... No DPF or EGR. Really awesome considering Cummins, Caterpillar, and John Deere still are using a DPF,SCR, EGR to meet the same standards

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Double R Diesel View Post
    FPT 6.7L are being used in agricultural and forestry equipment. I've seen a FPT 6.7 next to a 6.7 Cummins. Almost completely identical. My understanding is that Fiat and Cummins engineers worked together in times in the past. I know the FPT 6.7 has been able to meet EPA tier 4 final standards for off road diesels with only SCR and a catalyst... No DPF or EGR. Really awesome considering Cummins, Caterpillar, and John Deere still are using a DPF,SCR, EGR to meet the same standards

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com
    If they could find a way to meet the on-road standard with just SCR and Cat that would be a huge deal.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

17. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes DRD, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I wouldn't be scared to try the FPT 6.7. But I have no intentions in getting rid of my current truck right now.

2012 Lonestar Edition Mineral Gray 3500 DRW CrewCab 4x4 6.7/68RFE 3.73, 125,000 miles and climbing, Revmax Valvebody, AFE Bladerunner Intake horn, Michellin LTX AT2, CHR550 Lockpick, Mopar Kicker Speaker Upgrades, Mopar Kicker 10" Sub, Synergy Steering Box Brace, Edge CTS Insight

19. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes DRD, IGOTACUMMINS, Power247 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast