Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  54
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is CCV Filter Removal Safe?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Is CCV Filter Removal Safe?

I have seen a number of posts and videos on how to gut the CCV filter and vent it direct to atmosphere with a screen.

I understand a lot of people believe this filter to be as useful as the EGR and just want to remove it and save the $100 to replace it.

My question is this; The way the hose from the CCV filter goes to the air intake just above the turbo compressor wheel there must be a significant amount of negative pressure created.

This must ensure there is no pressure build up in the crank case.

If you remove the filter media and vent directly to atmosphere, will this be sufficient to prevent a significant pressure in the crank case, or is there a risk of blowing seals if you just vent to atmosphere?

I'm not a diesel mechanic, but I understand that with the very high combustion pressure there can be quite high crank case pressure with a small amount of blow by.

The up side to this mod is keeping the compressor wheel, intercooler and parts down stream free of oil contamination, which I would think is a good thing?

Bottom line.....Is this a safe mod?

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

There are a lot of folks that do this.

And the older engines did vent into the atmosphere...but I actually like the idea of having the crankcase evacuated by the intake.

Yes a little oil can end up in the intake but that's better than blown seals.

Not to mention evacuation helps piston ring seal as well.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

3. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I think you are right, so here is another question.

If you gut the filter but reinstall it as it was, will you draw too much oil thru the intake because of the extra vacuum without the filter media.

I would think it would have to draw better without the media?

I am wondering if this a required piece or if it's just a way to control the amount of oil mist that gets into the combustion chamber for emissions?

We are already burning an oil fuel, so how much emissions could the oil mist be adding?

Or does it affect down stream sensors?

I hate the idea of spending $100 on a useless piece, but sure don't want to be blowing crank seals either!!

5. Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Good question.

I'd imagine its gonna let more oil get by with a gutted filter.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I have seen a few guys but the CCV and then install a modified catch can to help capture additional oil vapor before the intake.

To me just replacing the CCV filter is the simplest solution.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

8. Thanks cumminsdieselfreak thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I've had mine completely gutted and running to the ground for almost 20000 miles with no issue.

In my opinion there has to be more pressure in the crankcase with the factory filter and hooked to the intake.

The factory filter can't let as much pressure out of the engine as a gutted filter vented to the atmosphere especially at high RPM.

Just my opinion tho.

10. Likes IGOTACUMMINS, oneshotkyle liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

All I'd like to ask is what is the requirement from your DMV?

One guy is from Canada and the others are from the US.

But each area is different to register.

Where I live now, I can do what ever I want.

Where I lived before, I would get fees, fines and legal problems from the state.

12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    All I'd like to ask is what is the requirement from your DMV?

One guy is from Canada and the others are from the US.

But each area is different to register.

Where I live now, I can do what ever I want.

Where I lived before, I would get fees, fines and legal problems from the state.
    I have a fully deleted engine, so I'm already outside the limits.

A truck that runs well, is fuel efficient and is reliable is more important to me.

13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2012BigHorn View Post
    I've had mine completely gutted and running to the ground for almost 20000 miles with no issue.

In my opinion there has to be more pressure in the crankcase with the factory filter and hooked to the intake.

The factory filter can't let as much pressure out of the engine as a gutted filter vented to the atmosphere especially at high RPM.

Just my opinion tho.
    That line to the turbo has to create a lot of suction and that will ensure you don't pressurize the crankcase.

I'm sure as the filter gets oiled up it won't breath as well.

Are you dripping oil out of your vent tube at all or is it staying dry?

14. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I'm thinking a gutted filter replaced with a "catch can" type separator inline to the factory intake may be the best compromise.

It would eliminate an expensive filter and give very good crankcase ventilation and keep the oil out of the compressor.

Remember the old sediment bowls on the fuel line?

Why not something like that that you could just drain and replace?

15. Likes Darren12'cummins3500 liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast