Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  18

Thread: Custom Transmission Tuning Makes All The Difference For Towing - Check This Out!

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Custom Transmission Tuning Makes All The Difference For Towing - Check This Out!

The auto transmission in 2012 has been my largest complaint about pickup.

I have never had a mechanical issue, and my complaints are only about its shifting behavior.

I have had several tunes from several companies, each with pros and cons regarding the tuning itself, turnaround time, customer service, etc...

It doesn't take much to impress me in the engine department.

These new diesel engines from the big 3 are all impressive power plants, especially when deleted/tuned, but the 68RFE auto transmission has been something that needs attention.

The tow/haul mode (to me) is a joke.

It doesn't do a damn thing except downshift when slowing down, and it does a piss poor job of that.

I recently decided to give Double R Diesel a shot at writing a tune for my 2012.

I was mainly concerned about what he could do for me in the transmission tuning department.

Most of the miles I put on my RAM are towing miles.

I have 3 trailers I regularly pull that range from 6000-15000 pounds.

After a few conversations via telephone and email, Double R Diesel has my trans tuning damn near spot on.

I want to put a few more miles on to watch the transmission's behavior, but so far, it is a home run for a tow rig.

In-stock/box tune format, these at my observations/complaints.

1st gear - My largest complaint about 1st is it is too short. With a heavy load outback, you get going to 6-7mph, and it shifts to 2nd, then the engine labors, and labors, and labors to get the load moving. It seemed senseless to me that 1st didn't last longer to aid in getting the mass rolling (the only way it stayed in first, other than manual mode, is if you tromped the pedal to the floor, but why would you want to abuse your pickup with all that weight outback)

2nd gear - In stock format (or H&S box tunes), 2nd gear torque converter lockup was nonexistent. 2nd gear also seemed too short (the trans was looking to grab 3rd gear way too early).

3rd gear - In stock format (or H&S box tunes), 3rd gear torque converter lockup was DARN NEAR nonexistent. You had to be going unusually fast in 3rd gear to get the TC to lock (usually, this would only happen if you were accelerating up a hill with a load outback, and your travel speed was 35mph or greater in 3rd gear).

And now with @Double R Diesel LLC

1st gear - holds first much longer. At an average acceleration with a load outback, it will hold until approx—15 mph. No more quickly shift to 2nd and listening to the Cummins moan and groan trying to get the load moving.

2nd gear - watch the gear indicator in my Minimax. It hits 2nd gear, and shortly after, the TC is locked up, and the Cummins puts all its torque on the wheels. 2nd gear lasts until approx. 25 mph, so when it grabs 3rd, there is no laboring

3rd gear - torque converter is immediately locked when it hits 3rd gear and putting that power to the wheels—no slipping and lost torque due to no lockup.

4-6 gears - they are the same as stock (I really had no complaints about their shifting patterns).

Video of transmission shift pattern with my 5th wheel camper outback.

2. Thanks Polaraco, IGOTACUMMINS, DRD, Power247 thanked for this post
    Likes Polaraco, IGOTACUMMINS, DRD, timshooter40 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Custom Transmission Tuning Makes All The Difference For Towing - Check This Out!

Right on!

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Thanks DRD, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes DRD, IGOTACUMMINS, timshooter40 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Heck yeah, man!!

Transmission Tuning was also what brought me to Ray and @Double R Diesel LLC.

I had to go back to stick a few months back and forgot how much difference Ray's custom transmission made on my truck.

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

6. Thanks DRD, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes DRD, IGOTACUMMINS, timshooter40 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I'm going to update this a little more.

I just bought a tractor out of state.

I pulled it back home on a 28' gooseneck trailer.

The total load was about 22-23,000 pounds.

This transmission shifting is amazing for the guy who pulls with his 68RFE Cummins (it seems like there are getting to be less and less on this site).

I wanted a true "tow tune" that is 100% engine safe.

Ray at Double R Diesel advised against bumping the timing to try and get more HP from the street and performance power settings.

I ended up with a tune that ranges approx from 0 to 80 hp.

This thing is a beast on the 40 hp setting.

It won't win any drag races, but the engine/transmission tuning combo flat out haul azz when it comes to getting work done.

I have a few other tunes from Draconian and Anarchy, and they all have their pros and cons, but it seemed like nothing was ever tailored for a tow rig.

When I mentioned issues I had with transmission shifting, I would hear, "well, I'll go rod my truck around town and test some things at high engine loads."

I'm sorry, but driving without a load and running wide-open throttle is not even close to hooking up to a load and testing transmission tuning, EGT, and boost.

Happy towing all!

8. Thanks DRD, vdubbob thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, IGOTACUMMINS, DRD, timshooter40 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Re: Custom Transmission Tuning Makes All The Difference For Towing - Check This Out!

That is what I need. I live in Hawaii, and there is no flat ground anywhere, and I am towing 17k lbs behind me.

The converter needs to lock way earlier than the H&S, and I will for sure do the custom tunes to work as yours.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post