Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I NEED SOME QUICK HELP

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Exclamation I NEED SOME QUICK HELP

I need to know if the 03/04 common rail is more forgiving than the newer 06 version. And I need to know now!

Before I commit to this truck permanently

Last edited by Polaraco; 10-18-2012 at 02:56 PM.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

forgiving in what aspect steve? I prefer the 04.5-07 5.9

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Both are good trucks, dont get me wrong. I prefer them for different reasons. Performance based

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

03-04 i believe r more prone in having electrical issues

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I had an 04. That flat spot on my butt is where i kicked myself when I sold it.

It was never an issue. The injectors and CP3 are more reliable and forgiving than it's younger mates. I meant as far as water and dirt are concerned. I beat the crap out of that truck and never even got anything done to it other than a CP3 which developed a leak. The truck was in for it's first service.

There's still nothing like a good ol 12 valve though

Oh yeah, this is all pretty late now. I sent them a deposit today. With all the excitement last night, this never made it out in the open

Last edited by Polaraco; 10-18-2012 at 09:32 PM.

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

03 is a good truck, I don't think it's the yr as much as just the truck some are good and some are garbage all yrs

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I've heard that the 03 and early 04 were the best of the 3rd gens. That's not why I bought it. The deal seemed good for the truck and it fit the my wish list perfectly. Just about 4 grand more than I planned on

Going to have to pull those over load springs out.

8. Top Of Page | #8
    guru of all things diesel Canadiandiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

There is alot of controversy about which is better, and alot of people will go back and forth about who beats who, I personally believe the early cr walks all over the late models for durability due to the piston bowl design and injector angles, ever see a early burn out pistons? Late model ones do alot, however the late model do have better computers easier to program, efi live came out for them so you can unlock the real potential, and get rid of that dumb third injection event,

9. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

And I thought you didn't like trucks with 400 dollar injectors any more. Don't modify it beyond what the stock fuel system can flow and you won't have problems.

Personally I like the old 12v and 24v VP trucks. Cheap to work on and reliable. Not as easy to make big power like you do with a common rail but they make plenty to tow whatever needs pulling.

10. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I do know the older injectors are more forgiving. The rail pressure is almost half to start with

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast