Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: 5 blade turbochargers

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

5 blade turbochargers

I'm curious if anyone has had am experience with stainless diesel 5 blade turbo's? And if so what is the advantages or disadvantages over say a billet 11 blade. Looking at changing my turbo setup in the near future, and have considered a 5 blade s400.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Great question. We've never had any experience, but maybe some others have on here.

Chime in guys.

Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!

"The grass is greener where you water it"

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

ok time to learn some thing new

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

This is what I could find:
    Like main and splitter or total blade turbos are much more likely to surge and therefore have a narrower operating window. But, the lower blade count setups do tend to flow more because they both lighter in weight which allows for more rpm with the same shaft HP and have less area which means more open spaces for air flow. If you had a compound turbo arrangement and were limited to a certain frame size turbo, it might be worthwhile to try a blade compressor on the big atmosphere turbo that operates at lower pressure ratios and doesn't need a large operating window. For a single turbo street setup, I think a 5-blade turbo would be a mistake.

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

got it from the dark side

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K-Sons View Post
    got it from the dark side
    Traitor

I have been looking into rebuilding my turbo, specifically going with one of those billit volume blades. I pretty much summarized the same conclusion on blade quantity as well For once I see someone got something right over there.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

11. Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

So in general speaking, a 5 blade turbo would light quicker and move more air, but doesn't have the rpm range that a normall compressor wheel charger would? Am I right or did I miss understand that?

13. Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

yes as far as i can see and more noise
    waiting for @Canadiandiesel to chime in

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kisner93 View Post
    So in general speaking, a 5 blade turbo would light quicker and move more air, but doesn't have the rpm range that a normall compressor wheel charger would? Am I right or did I miss understand that?
    That about sums it up. Check out BAE

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I'm looking at a 72/87 1.10 AR used as a single on a truck that isn't street driven. My main concern is not being able to turn enough engine rpms to keep a charger with a larger turbine wheel and AR of that size lit pulling a sled..so I was thinking about giving this 5 blade a try. Being that my rpm range isn't al that large and I could light a 5 blade of that size off the line and keep it lit alot better than a conventional charger. That's my thinking if it makes any sense at all to you guys..LOL