Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: strange problem 2006 5.9L

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

strange problem 2006 5.9L

2006 5.9L megacab, 156k miles. With the engine running in park, engine idles normal. When shifted into reverse or drive, The engine loads up to the point where standing on the brake barely holds truck in place. In order to go back to reverse or drive, i have to stop at neutral where the engine revs to 1500 - 2000 rpms and then resumes normal idle. If you go direct from drive to reverse it goes into gear at high rpm. No engine lights on, (never been on with this problem). thanks for help

2. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, dmuney liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

"The grass is greener where you water it"

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jfantoli View Post
    2006 5.9L megacab, 156k miles. With the engine running in park, engine idles normal. When shifted into reverse or drive, The engine loads up to the point where standing on the brake barely holds truck in place. In order to go back to reverse or drive, i have to stop at neutral where the engine revs to 1500 - 2000 rpms and then resumes normal idle. If you go direct from drive to reverse it goes into gear at high rpm. No engine lights on, (never been on with this problem). thanks for help
    What mods om the truck. What was the last thing done to it and how long ago?

Has there ever been any electrical tinkering on this thing?

The truck is drive by wire so there has to be a false signal going to the throttle circuit

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes dmuney liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

no modifications other than air filter. Last work was front end ( tie rods ), and coolant lines behind the engine, done this spring.

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

no electrical tinkering

8. Likes dmuney liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Does sound like a false signal from a sensor somewhere to me. It is possible to have a faulty sensor without setting a CEL. You need to find someone or shop with a higher end scan tool to plug into your truck. A trained eye with the right equipment could probably note sensor feedback and find the issue relatively quick.

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

10. Likes dmuney liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

following

In pursuit of more power in which the wallet will allow mods to date. Edge Evolution, Banks Air Filter, 5" cat back Banks Monster exhaust, Billet built auto trans Triple disc TC, Derale trans cooler, Sinister coolant filter,5" aluminum drive shafts
    Gary

http://igotacummins.com/vbrides.php?...3#.VT-wuiFVhBc

12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Thank you for a place to start looking. Have enjoyed looking around the website. Wish I had joined earlier

13. Likes dmuney liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Double R Diesel LLC View Post
    Does sound like a false signal from a sensor somewhere to me. It is possible to have a faulty sensor without setting a CEL. You need to find someone or shop with a higher end scan tool to plug into your truck. A trained eye with the right equipment could probably note sensor feedback and find the issue relatively quick.
    Thank you for a place to start looking. Have enjoyed looking around the website. Wish I had joined earlier
    Exactly where I was going. Or a wiring/ground failure. What ever it is, it's something connected with the shifting of the trans. I don't know how the CanBus handles all those signals

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

15. Likes dmuney liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10
    Could the converter clutch be locked up?

17. Likes dmuney liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast