Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DO NOT USE AIR DOG I am sorry to say this.

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcdebol View Post
    I'd say you have a problem don't know what the cause is but you are getting some serious water in your system. In the last 7 years with 7 diesel vehicles I have never seen that kind of water damage inside a fuel system. Never seen enough water get into a fuel system to cause that much damage. Most fuel stations have water separation built in for their diesel and its pretty rare you see more than a thimble full hit your filter. On a rare occasion I have seen a station get mass amounts of water which could be the case but its pretty rare. You can generally follow the line of broken down diesels to the station to. In which case the station would be responsible for the damages.

If you didn't get the water from the source then something in your fuel system is causing condensation and a lot of it. Whether it be the little magic green mileage boosting device or something in your riser set up coming out of the tank. If the Air Dog were causing that kind of condensation they would be out of business already.
    The little magic green thing is after the filters. It's also heated so it can't generate water. Even if it did, these filters would have to be submerged.

I had a water leak on the top of the tank a long time ago, but fixed a long time ago too. I don't have algae. I have nothing going on. Except for a low tank and lack of use, where else can you create allot of water. Again, I only drained a few ounces out. That is not enough to do that much carnage.

This time of year and spring are the real condensation times. I especially try to keep the tank full this time of year. I went all summer on one tank.

I was religiously draining those things too. I would always get a few drops, but who doesn't. I didn't drain them at every fill up, but I did drain them at least once a month. For a long time I kept a pail I would pour the drainings from When I dumped it, there was about enough water to cover the bottom with a layer of rust laying on the top. I JUST GOT RID OF IT TOO.

You guys should know me by now. If I went this far on the protection, why wouldn't I take care of them? I changed the filters in June. I have a 6 month routine. Air Dog twice a year and the CAT once a year.

Last edited by Polaraco; 10-15-2012 at 05:05 PM.

2. Top Of Page | #22
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

It sounds like a lot of water to me. I would have been concerned if there was even a table spoon of water.

I am glad to say that in my years of running heavy equipment I have only seen a few drops of water at a time when I have drained the water seperators. The worst was running in hot humid weather burning over 600 liters a day. I may still have my original Airdog filters which I cut apart...they would be outside in a bucket for few years now...I will check to see how bad they have rusted for you.

3. Likes 1JP liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

I say again

They never should have rusted like that in 4 months. Seems to me I saw some on the last set too, but can't remember and is irrelevant. The problem has been going on for almost 3 filter changes

5. Top Of Page | #24
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Do you fill up at the same location? What kind of tanks do they use? Around here there used to be many old steel tanks buried in the ground. At some point in their life many of them would rust through and take on ground water. My brother got a bad tank once when he got the remaining dregs of fuel...it was not contaminated with water but it did plug the fuel filter with rust and dirt. I could see a fuel filter rusting in just 4 months if you have not been driving it much...especially if it had a lot of water in it like yours did.

I would recheck your vent tubes just to make sure no water is getting in there...also recheck your fuel basket seal if you had it off for your Airdog install...those are the most likely places that water could get in the tank besides getting contaminated fuel IMO.

6. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

Like I said, I drained a couple of ounces, if that, in 2 days. Before that they sat for 2 months on an almost full tank. I can't tell how much is in there.

Regardless, it should have never rusted like that in 4 months.

I buy fuel in the same place when I can. I have been out on tows and had to tank up. All NJ stations were forced to go to fiberglass tanks years ago and that station is relatively new. Maybe 10 years. Doesn't mean much, but he pumps allot of diesel. He says 18,000 gal a week of just diesel. He's the only one in the area.

The pump unit is locked down and I used a thing layer of RTV. The draw straw is packed in RTV just in case.

7. Top Of Page | #26
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Steve you have an air leak in a line upstream from your filter. The fuel system should be closed. That means the top of the filter should always be covered in diesel. The only way to rust the top is to fill it with water all the way or drain it. If its draining that means you have an air leak. That would also explain all the water in your fuel.

8. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

I know what you are saying, but how can there be an air leak without a leak somewhere. I went through this already. I agree with you though. It won't rust without air. If that were the case, why didn't the forward filter rust? I guess it's possible to have a leak with no pressure.

I KEEP TELLING YOU, THERE WAS NOT THAT MUCH WATER IN THERE! SHEEESH. If I got allot of water, I would be alarmed. But I am not about the amount of water.

9. Top Of Page | #28
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I have a JD tractor that I fight constantly for sucking air. It never leaks fuel but will drain the lines back into the tank. If you prime it and start it it acts and runs just like you described your truck running. Rough as heck at an idle give it a little gas and it smooths out. It will even idle smooth for a little while after you get it warmed up. It's all rubber hose connections on the fuel lines and it sucks air pre filter so no real danger of crap getting into the injectors. To make it stop I have to replace the fuel lines and heat them with a torch before I install them so they seal up air tight. It will generally go 6 or 7 months before it starts acting up again.

Usually when you get an air leak without a fuel leak it's before the pump. When the pump starts pulling fuel it creates a vacuum and no fuel comes out but some air will get in. When the fuel drains it will follow the path of least resistance which is generally back to the tank not out the tiny air hole. Occasionally when my JD does it the fuel line will get a tiny bit wet around the leaking connection but never enough to run down the hose or drip. It's a pain in the butt to find that's why I just replace all the lines and go about my business.

10. Top Of Page | #29
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

You can also get an air leak after the pump without having a noticeable fuel leak. Usually on rubber hose lines but it can also happen with a pressure fitting. Basically the clamp will be just a touch loose and the fuel pressure will pull it back tight and seal it. When the fuel pressure shuts off the hose will creep forward and allow air into the system allowing it to drain. Your hose will generally be wet around the offending connection on a post pump leak but it won't necessarily drip. Post filter air leaks are very bad because they suck in condensation and dirt after the filter and put it straight into your engine.

11. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

The most that would do is allow the fuel to settle at it's lowest point. Since this system is below the tank, I don.t see how. The fuel tank still siphons. It could be because the truck was parked down hill for quite a while. It sits for weeks at a time sometimes.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast