Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  67
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Re-Gen: 1985 D350 Headed to SEMA '15!!

1. Top Of Page | #11
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Humberto has been busy!

Here are a few updates:

He chopped the frame and added his own frame rails. This is done in a way that will eliminate the need for a big C notch to bring the height down. A mini notch is put into the frame rails for clearance. This truck will have a raised FLAT bed floor and will only lose 3"-4" of depth according to his measurements. This keeps the bed very usable. Humberto intends to be able to carry motorcycles in the bed amongst other things.

Looking good!

2. Likes Rockwerx liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

A little preview of what will be going on in the rear:

Let’s look at what is going on on the front end a little:

Humberto sketched and then set up templates for plate arms of his own design.

Precision cut from 3/4" steel plate, these are stout!

4. Likes Rockwerx liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

The entire front end had to be completely stripped down so that it can be built back up custom.

In order to have a respectable low ride height and still be able to turn lock to lock as well as tuck wheel and tire Humberto opted to convert the front end to a 3/4 ton setup so that the wheel and tire setup will be sucked in narrowing the track width enough for clearance.

Here you can see a tape showing the difference between the 3/4 and 1 ton hub setups.

Humberto had to machine the center bore of the adapters from 117mm (Chevrolet spec) to 120mm (Dodge spec).

Here they are mounted up:

6. Likes Rockwerx liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Everyone likes a little mockup!

8. Likes Rockwerx liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Here are some pictures with the fabricated 4 link and bag brackets.

These parts are fabricated in house by Humberto.

The truck is moving right along.

10. Likes Rockwerx liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Here is an update on the A Arms that Humberto built specifically for this truck:

12. Likes Rockwerx liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

How about some updates!!

Humberto has been very busy working on this truck so there is a lot to post. It might take me a day or two to get everything up to current.

Where to start?

Let's begin with the end:

a few more things have been added to the rear of the truck including:

a raised fuel tank (1.5")

a custom bent diagonal link (same design he uses on the racecars he builds) to clear the fuel tank

and a Helwig sway bar out of an Excursion with modified bushings to clear the 4 link setup

The diagonal link has a double swivel on the ends which will allow for a full 11" of travel in the rear.

14. Likes Rockwerx liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Next on the list will be the steering setup.

Humberto is running the steering rack out of a 3rd gen dodge so mounts and all the linkages and mounting points had to be fabricated.

The cross member had to be opened up and slugs built to mount the rack.

Slugs were also built for the lower control arms.

This was the original idea for the tie rods, This is a stock arm that would be modified to have the correct shape/angle to fit in the location it was needed. this idea would be scrapped as it was causing binding and not functioning correctly.

This little arm was the result of a couple days of hair pulling trying to figure out the correct solution to tie rod angles. This keeps motion linear and without undue stress on the parts.

16. Likes Rockwerx liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

I would have loved that truck just as it was. I can appreciate the build, but there is just something about it, that doesn't fit me. It looks awesome, but its not my taste.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

18. Top Of Page | #20
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by F350Cummins View Post
    I would have loved that truck just as it was. I can appreciate the build, but there is just something about it, that doesn't fit me. It looks awesome, but its not my taste.

Its not everyone's style. If it was the world of modified vehicles would be just as boring as the world of stock vehicles. Different tastes is what makes customization so interesting.

19. Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Rockwerx liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast