Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  13

Thread: Fuel filter replacement...which filter?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Fuel filter replacement...which filter?

I have a 2012 Ram 3500, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6.7 Cummins. The original engine mounted fuel filter was a Fleetguard FS43255. That filter apparently has been upgraded to the new Fleetguard FS53000 NanoNet fuel filter that now filters down to 3 microns instead of 5 microns and acts as a water separator.
    My question is, is there another filter on the frame rail? My local dealer says there should be, but if there is I can't find it. Where abouts is this "second" filter located on the truck, or does it even exist? The next to useless owners manual doesn't say anything except "the filter should be changed every 20K km or 12K miles." It does mention that there is a petcock on the bottom of the filter housing to drain off water, which makes me think there isn't a second filter! I f anyone out there can clarify this for me I would be very appreciative!

2. Likes HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

We only have the engine mounted filter on our trucks. The frame mounted filter was added to the '13 trucks

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

4. Thanks K-Sons, ywgbandit thanked for this post
    Likes K-Sons, HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

My truck is a late 2012 and the nearest dealer who is not in my town said that according to my VIN # I "might" have the rail mounted filter, but I couldn't find it.
    Next question is......the Fleetguard FS43255 is the original fuel filter on my truck, a 2-stage particle removal that yields a 5-micron filtration rating @98.7% , but there is an upgraded filter. The FS5300 NanoNet filter that filters down to 3 microns, but it's almost double the price of the FS43255. Is that extra 2 microns worth double the money?

6. Likes HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Yes!!! The extra filtration is very much worth the money. Granted it's my opinion, but the cheapest insurance is the best filtration you can get.

8. Thanks ywgbandit thanked for this post
    Likes Rockwerx, HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildkarrd RRD View Post
    Yes!!! The extra filtration is very much worth the money. Granted it's my opinion, but the cheapest insurance is the best filtration you can get.
    Totally Agree

In pursuit of more power in which the wallet will allow mods to date. Edge Evolution, Banks Air Filter, 5" cat back Banks Monster exhaust, Billet built auto trans Triple disc TC, Derale trans cooler, Sinister coolant filter,5" aluminum drive shafts
    Gary

http://igotacummins.com/vbrides.php?...3#.VT-wuiFVhBc

10. Likes HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

My understanding is that the 2nd filter is mounted toward the rear of the truck. You can look and see but i doubt you have it. There was a 'severe duty' add on kit that was a dealer installed option so maybe that is what they are picking up on. I use the 3 micron for regular changes for piece of mind. I still have a old 5 micron I carry as a spare... just in case...

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Thanks to all for the input, I bought my truck used, so I will check to make sure I don't have the 2nd filter, but I sounds like I shouldn't have it. I will get the Fleetguard FS53000 upgraded filter.....sounds like good insurance.

13. Likes HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8
    On my 2014 it's just forward of the third member on the rear end housing

15. Likes HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Just wanted to put in my 2 cents,I bought the new nano filter at a cummins dealer in Tulsa for 46 bucks called dodge and they wanted 96 bucks so I'd say find a cummins dealer near you.When I told the parts guy he laughed and said yes dodge always charges double on their filters,so cummins dealer gets all my buisness

17. Thanks walla2k5 thanked for this post
    Likes HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN, walla2k5 liked this post