Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Why my side marker light stopped working....

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Why my side marker light stopped working....

My left turn signal bulb in the dash popped on, and stayed on, while I was out getting groceries. It does this if a running light is out. Checked the truck and my lower front fender side amber light was out.

Got home and popped in a new bulb...nothing. Hmmm try another bulb...nothing. Go get test light...have power to plug so should come on. Checking out the tangs in the plug and they looked a little compressed. So grab a pick and bend them out, insert 3rd bulb and still nothing.

OK now I'm getting cheesed. So go grab a couple alligator clip jump wires. Test all three bulbs...only one was working. OK put working bulb in again, still nothing. Decided to test connectors while bulb is in socket. Had test light on the ground, and had power on one side. Then switched test light to positive, no ground coming into bulb.

OK so I probe the wire on the outside of the connector....still no ground. Now I figure it must be a bad splice or broken wire. So I start pulling the wrap off the wiring. Noticed that the front turn signal/marker bulb also used the same wires, so figured they must join somewhere and that would be where my problem was. I Got it all off all the way back to the inner fender and the big bundle of wrapped wires there...Still no splice.

I then went and got my FSM and started looking at the wiring diagrams. Appeared that there was no splice in the engine compartment. I went back out and was looking at things and then noticed that the front amber bulb was burnt out as well. I thought what would be the odds that if the front signal bulb was out, that the side bulb would not work either...well after a new front bulb the side one started working....[dummy]

So there ya go folks I learned something new today, it only took me an hour or so to figure it out. Lesson learned is....if you have front side marker light out, and a new bulb doesn't fix the problem...check to make sure your front marker/signal light bulb is in good shape and working properly.

2. Thanks K-Sons thanked for this post
    Likes K-Sons liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

noted thanks

In pursuit of more power in which the wallet will allow mods to date. Edge Evolution, Banks Air Filter, 5" cat back Banks Monster exhaust, Billet built auto trans Triple disc TC, Derale trans cooler, Sinister coolant filter,5" aluminum drive shafts
    Gary

http://igotacummins.com/vbrides.php?...3#.VT-wuiFVhBc

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thrashingcows View Post
    My left turn signal bulb in the dash popped on, and stayed on, while I was out getting groceries. It does this if a running light is out. Checked the truck and my lower front fender side amber light was out.

Got home and popped in a new bulb...nothing. Hmmm try another bulb...nothing. Go get test light...have power to plug so should come on. Checking out the tangs in the plug and they looked a little compressed. So grab a pick and bend them out, insert 3rd bulb and still nothing.

OK now I'm getting cheesed. So go grab a couple alligator clip jump wires. Test all three bulbs...only one was working. OK put working bulb in again, still nothing. Decided to test connectors while bulb is in socket. Had test light on the ground, and had power on one side. Then switched test light to positive, no ground coming into bulb.

OK so I probe the wire on the outside of the connector....still no ground. Now I figure it must be a bad splice or broken wire. So I start pulling the wrap off the wiring. Noticed that the front turn signal/marker bulb also used the same wires, so figured they must join somewhere and that would be where my problem was. I Got it all off all the way back to the inner fender and the big bundle of wrapped wires there...Still no splice.

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/v...psikggjxy5.jpg

I then went and got my FSM and started looking at the wiring diagrams. Appeared that there was no splice in the engine compartment. I went back out and was looking at things and then noticed that the front amber bulb was burnt out as well. I thought what would be the odds that if the front signal bulb was out, that the side bulb would not work either...well after a new front bulb the side one started working....[dummy]

So there ya go folks I learned something new today, it only took me an hour or so to figure it out. Lesson learned is....if you have front side marker light out, and a new bulb doesn't fix the problem...check to make sure your front marker/signal light bulb is in good shape and working properly.

Ahhh the harness wrap is old anyway. LOL

Look at the FSM and see how the positive is run. I realize it worked, but coming from an electrical engineer, that makes no sense at all. I wonder if there ia a problem in the turn signal socket? Thinking feedback

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Yeah I don't know. I will try the opposite side and see if it does the same thing.

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thrashingcows View Post
    Yeah I don't know. I will try the opposite side and see if it does the same thing.
    Geee Why didn't I think of that? LOL Good idea

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

7. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Ahhh the harness wrap is old anyway. LOL

Look at the FSM and see how the positive is run. I realize it worked, but coming from an electrical engineer, that makes no sense at all. I wonder if there ia a problem in the turn signal socket? Thinking feedback
    Actually does make sense. Run ground thru the full circuit and eliminate splice points. I'd almost bet hot side is wired that way too. Easy to get away with doing that when there's no computer in the mix. Saves connectors and effort. There might still be a problem in that circuit somewhere, but I'm betting that's how it was designed.

8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildkarrd RRD View Post
    Actually does make sense. Run ground thru the full circuit and eliminate splice points. I'd almost bet hot side is wired that way too. Easy to get away with doing that when there's no computer in the mix. Saves connectors and effort. There might still be a problem in that circuit somewhere, but I'm betting that's how it was designed.
    I'm saying the splice would be at the socket. But looking at the rats nest, that's not the case.