Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Turbo and EB noob question

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Turbo and EB noob question

So I'm new to the diesel world and wondering about the exhaust brake. Since I have the option to turn it off and on and also put it on an auto mode I'm left wondering why. Is there driving conditions where I'm better off leaving it off or on. What's the negatives of just leaving it on?
    Ive also read that " To remain free of soot build up and continue to operate smoothly our turbos should be normally exercised from full boost "I assume that means floor the gas pedal" to full closed (exhaust braking). That means use of full throttle and full boost on hard acceleration loaded or climbing a grade and, also, full exhaust braking." Is that true? I've never been one to drive with a heavy foot so I've been taking it easy. Should I start driving like a drunk high school student or what?
    Any advise appreciated
    2015 ram 2500 owner.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sandman7925 View Post
    So I'm new to the diesel world and wondering about the exhaust brake. Since I have the option to turn it off and on and also put it on an auto mode I'm left wondering why. Is there driving conditions where I'm better off leaving it off or on. What's the negatives of just leaving it on?
    Ive also read that " To remain free of soot build up and continue to operate smoothly our turbos should be normally exercised from full boost "I assume that means floor the gas pedal" to full closed (exhaust braking). That means use of full throttle and full boost on hard acceleration loaded or climbing a grade and, also, full exhaust braking." Is that true? I've never been one to drive with a heavy foot so I've been taking it easy. Should I start driving like a drunk high school student or what?
    Any advise appreciated
    2015 ram 2500 owner.
    Just simply run the truck with exhaust brake button turned on and drive normal. No need to drive like a crazed teenager. The exhaust brake function causes the turbo's actuator to cycle through a good travel range during the brake on/off cycles which in turn keeps the parts that can stick prematurely from doing so. This is what is meant by exercising the turbo. Enjoy your truck driving it just the way you want too.

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

3. Thanks sandman7925, K-Sons thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, glenn.h.brooks liked this post