Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  23
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yet another build thread

1. Top Of Page | #21
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Lets see... I think I'm nearing April 2012 in this thread. After a school year of driving with 150s and VGTs, I wanted more power. I priced out twins if I made them myself, and decided I could cover enough of my costs by selling my VGT setup, so it went up on the classifieds. While still at school I picked up a used set of head studs and an he351cw from the classifieds.

As soon as I was out of school, I pulled my truck into the shop and made two whole sets of piping for a VGT setup and mailed one off to a buyer. I took my list and went on a road trip down to Oregon to pick up all my supplies for building twins. I visited Source Automotive, Vulcan Performance, and Columbia River Mandrel bends all in the same day, then headed home with a backseat (of my dad's blue Cherokee) full of twins parts. I ordered an S475/96/1.32 from DAP and it showed up a few days later.

Since I fund my college through working summers, I didn't have many opportunities to work on my compounds in May and early June (triticale and alfalfa harvest). By late June, early July I made a bit of headway. The truck ran by the end of July, but still stayed in the shop partially disassembled. Finally, near the middle of August, on the day I was headed back to school, I finally finished putting the truck back together and could drive it.

2. Top Of Page | #22
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Here are pictures from the construction of my compounds

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...t/e09d4b97.mp4

3. Thanks Power247, DRD, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Rockwerx, IGOTACUMMINS, fourteen liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #23
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Yet another build thread

With my twins barely completed and head studs not installed(due to the ARP lube not showing up on time), I drove 3 hours to school taking it very easy on the throttle.

While at school, I noticed my twins were a little laggier than I wanted. After spending several hours playing with different springs in my spring gate, I finally settled with a dual spring setup, using off the shelf springs from ace hardware. This greatly helped spool up and made sure the wastegate on the secondary was not creeping open too soon. Still, I felt I could benefit from larger injectors. The compounds spooled noticeably quicker with my quad set to kill, but I didn't like the idea of always driving with the quad all the way up.

5. Top Of Page | #24
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Before school I was in contact with Chris Luttrell about injectors and getting ahold of Weston Shupe. Chris had recently left SDX, but he told me he was still building identical injectors on the side. He offered to build me a set of SAC 7x.012s. Being tight on money, I decided I'd need to sell my current SDX 150s. A few days after I listed them, a guy named Keith from Canada bought them.

I called Chris to let him know to go ahead and build me a set of 7x.012s. There was a few weeks delay, as EDM shops were busy with orders for the Scheid Diesel Extravaganza at that time. Chris maintained excellent communication throughout the whole time. He let me know he was going to start selling injectors under the name Ducky Fuel Injection, or DFI, and he asked me to write a review when I had a chance. I installed the injectors and head studs under my cousins car port. After driving with the injectors for a week, I wrote a review on cummins forum I can post here if people would like

6. Top Of Page | #25
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Over the summer, I had decided to run a stack and diverter valve with a muffled tailpipe. The diverter valve allowed me to switch to a quiet exhaust while driving on the highway for hours on end, while being able to enjoy the stack sound driving around town

The turndown on the muffled tailpipe was almost impossible to see with the bed on.
    It's on the truck in these pics

7. Likes Rockwerx liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

that looks good how does it sound

In pursuit of more power in which the wallet will allow mods to date. Edge Evolution, Banks Air Filter, 5" cat back Banks Monster exhaust, Billet built auto trans Triple disc TC, Derale trans cooler, Sinister coolant filter,5" aluminum drive shafts
    Gary

http://igotacummins.com/vbrides.php?...3#.VT-wuiFVhBc

9. Top Of Page | #27
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Yet another build thread

Quote Originally Posted by Weeseven View Post
    that looks good how does it sound
    Through the tailpipe it was very quiet, through the stack loud, but not as loud as a stack without a diverter valve

Here's a dyno vid with the exhaust going through the tailpipe

http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/ch...A14D3.mp4.html

10. Top Of Page | #28
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Yet another build thread

In September of that year, there was the 2nd annual Alligator Performance dyno day in CDA, ID. I convoyed up to the dyno with a friend from school and met some guys from cummins forum there.

Since I did not have valve springs, and was fighting some issues with the quad, I did not intend on dynoing. However, by late afternoon, a friend had let me borrow his quad and convinced me to dyno. I was 3rd from last across the rollers (#73) of Custom Auto's mobile dyno. This is also where I met Dmitri Millard for the first time.

I did my first run with the quad on level 2(no pump tap) not expecting much. To my surprise it did 490hp. Being that close to 500hp, I decided to turn it up to level 4. I was rewarded with 539.3hp. My third run, did not load as well, and my used 12.25" valiar single disk began showing its age. On the dyno, even with pump tap fueling, I could only hit 56psi. On the street, I could hit 62psi without pump tap fueling. Even so, I was pleased with the numbers.

I had gotten tired of spot on my rear window, so I had pulled the stack and done the dyno run through the muffled tailpipe. This video shows just how quiet compounds can be with even a tiny muffler (4" straight through, 12" long)

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb366/chrisd91/White%20Dodge/Dyno/48A8BC71-7B2D-478A-97D3-B5B6B75B832C-12201-00000987AC1A14D3.mp4

11. Top Of Page | #29
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Yet another build thread

Here are some pictures from near Pullman, WA where I went to school. These are fall of '12. The palouse(region where WSU is) is side hill combine country

12. Likes Weeseven, IGOTACUMMINS, Power247, Rockwerx liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #30
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I ran the diverter/stack setup till my thanksgiving break of 2012, then decided to just put a stack on it and take the diverter and tailpipe off, as I was always running the diverter through the stack anyway.

I pulled that setup off and put my 7" miter back in. I had it in no more than a day when a local, posted about looking to put a stack in his truck. I had been considering doing the CAT stack, so I sold the miter to him to fund the CAT stack.

Having sold the stack and needing to head back to school in a few days, I then made the side exhaust and tip

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast