Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stumble of idle....

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Stumble of idle....

Having an interesting issue with my truck. Trying to load the engine under approx. 1K rpm, it starts to shudder, pedal goes dead, or at least no affect on the engine, real rough idle which drops to about 5-600rpm. Itll catch itself and jump up to a return idle. If I baby it and keep the rpms > 1K not to much an issue. Just for increased clutch wear.

Doing some research, I unlugged the FCA, Had bad fuel knock. However it didn't do it Only tried it three times. Does this make sense? Still might not be the FCA. Any way to troubleshoot it? I hate just throwing parts at it.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

That's nice. And how do you expect to help you without some details about the truck???

Year, model, trans, mods, any recent work

It's my job.

@2500ctd

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Likes turboguy327 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    That's nice. And how do you expect to help you without some details about the truck???

Year, model, trans, mods, any recent work

It's my job.

@2500ctd

http://www.Moparfins.com/forum/uploa...ystal-ball.jpg

Yeah, what he said.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2500ctd View Post
    Hey all! Not very good at intros so, I have a 92,01,05 cummins. Now all I need is a 6.7L The 92 is a parts truck for my 89 Ramcharger, the 01 is a 2500QCSB 2wd auto. I wrecked that, and now I have an 05 QCLB 4x4 6spd.
    Based on his intro post I can assume its the 05 4x4 6spd mods UKN though

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Sorry about everyone I had drill weekend.

Victim is a 05 2500CTD qclb 4x4 6spd. Only thi. I have done is swap out the cat and muffler for a straight through muffler.

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by F350Cummins View Post
    Based on his intro post I can assume its the 05 4x4 6spd mods UKN though

Victim is a 05 2500CTD qclb 4x4 6spd. Only thi. I have done is swap out the cat and muffler for a straight through muffler.
    Good. That's what we needed to know. We can't go hunting around for the info. Alex amy have the time, but for a retired guy, I am busy as hell.

Do you have any fuel leaks? How many miles on the truck? Any gauges? Have you checked for codes yet? @AccurateDiesel

I'm asking Tin form @AccurateDiesel, one of our vendors to chime in. Please keep in mind, if you need fuel system parts, we ask you buy from him. Especially if he helps you. The man has great knowledge and great prices for top shelf parts. We need these vendors to keep this forum running. Please.

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Top Of Page | #7
    Permanent Vacation AccurateDiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

Thanks for the intro!

I definitely agree on one thing - an interesting set of symptoms. I can't immediately recall seeing anything just like it. I also agree that I would be very hesitant to blame the FCA - unplugging it raises the rail pressure drastically, so that changes the entire dynamic.

As mentioned, codes would be helpful (especially if they were checked before unplugging the FCA)! Monitoring the relationship between actual and desired rail pressure will give us an idea if the FCA is healthy, particularly when the problem is occurring. I would also advise checking fuel pump pressure.

The problem did not start after the last tank of fuel did it? Many strange problems can be tracked to fuel issues.

Also, if there are any other symptoms at all - starting problems, smoke, etc, they may add some pieces to the puzzle.

9. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AccurateDiesel View Post
    Thanks for the intro!

I definitely agree on one thing - an interesting set of symptoms. I can't immediately recall seeing anything just like it. I also agree that I would be very hesitant to blame the FCA - unplugging it raises the rail pressure drastically, so that changes the entire dynamic.

As mentioned, codes would be helpful (especially if they were checked before unplugging the FCA)! Monitoring the relationship between actual and desired rail pressure will give us an idea if the FCA is healthy, particularly when the problem is occurring. I would also advise checking fuel pump pressure.

The problem did not start after the last tank of fuel did it? Many strange problems can be tracked to fuel issues.

Also, if there are any other symptoms at all - starting problems, smoke, etc, they may add some pieces to the puzzle.
    In other words, you need to be more descriptive about your symptoms. We're here, you're there. It can't be done in one sentance

10. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

When was the last time fuel filter was changed? That's always my number one suspect with 90% of fuel related issues. If you don't have a reader, run down to Napa or autozone most of those places offer free code reading. Write the codes down and bring here. Even tho your not exactly modded, a fuel pressure gauge is still a good idea. Fairly cheap, easy to install and great peace of mind to know what that lift pump is doing. Can also save you a lot of money by catching the lift pump going out before it takes the injector pump with it

11. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

No smoke. Only when it chugs, then there is a slight haze. The truck has an almost cyclic rhythm to the increase in rattle only at idle. I can rev the engine during that time. It will rev right up, return to idle like nothing happened. Let it idle the issue starts all over again. It is a new tank of fuel however i'm down to 7/8 as seen in the vid. I will get a new fuel filter tomorrow, however I do really doubt it is the filter, however it could be that simple. Filter only has 1800 miles on it. I order an ultra-gage mx. I need gages anyways as well as a code reader. I will most definitely support local if possible (forum vendors) Without these forums there would be TONS of valuable information inaccessible. 171Kmiles in the vid as well
    http://vid12.photobucket.com/albums/...psfildk08x.mp4
    http://vid12.photobucket.com/albums/...psk34rluw0.mp4
    http://vid12.photobucket.com/albums/...pskolria7e.mp4

OK Letting the clutch out,or possible, any load on the engine, under 1K rpm, causes it to chug.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast