Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: cold air intake opinions and knowledge welcome

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

cold air intake opinions and knowledge welcome

I have an 02(2nd gen) 24v with a 4 inch silverline stainless straight piped exhaust from the turbo back everything else to my knowledge is stock motor wise. As far as what I want for the truck I want 6-700 hp when its said and done and down the road it will be a welding rig. so my question is what sort of cold air intake is going to be versatile that I wont have to upgrade again and stuff. I was looking at a banks enclosed system and you could hook up a "superscoop" which I thought was pretty sweet but I don't really like that it has to come down below your bumper for when I eventually use it as a rig id be scared of mud and water getting in there or just breaking it off. secondly as far as the housings and tubing plastic vs steel is there advantage to one I feel like if you have a stainless box and tube that would keep the air cooler than the plastic or does that not really matter enough if im not trying to get the ultimate power from everything.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

I used to have one of those scoops from S & B. I never noticed any difference. It won't suck up any water. However, if you are planning on going on dusty job sights, I don't recommend it.

I might suggest a plain enclosed air intake like the S & B. Washable filter. Part Number 75-5044 I think

Check with one of our vendors in the list. We ask you support our vendors and buy from them. Everyone is about the same price
    @kidweld

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

ok as for the in take we sell a lot of S&B kits and have found their customer service has always been top notch even up here in the north
    as for the air scoop no one makes them that I have seen for the 02(second gen) they didn't come out with them till the 03 up to 09 trucks since the airbox is closer to the grill and head light
    I have run both the dry and the oiled filters in both my trucks it is a good idea to run a prefilter sock on the oiled to help keep bugs, leaves, grass and the odd time feathers out of the folds of the filter but remember to take it off once it gets cold they like to frost up in the winter
    if you go oiled filter it is a good idea to get a second filter they take a while to dry when cleaning and take time to watch the video that S&B has on youtube as to how to clean it right
    or get the dry filters and just toss them when they get bad enough
    if you forget and are in a pinch with the dry filters you can tap off alot of dust but still better to change them out
    and if in heavy dust I would go with dry filters

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Power247 thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Weeseven liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K-Sons View Post
    ok as for the in take we sell a lot of S&B kits and have found their customer service has always been top notch even up here in the north
    as for the air scoop no one makes them that I have seen for the 02(second gen) they didn't come out with them till the 03 up to 09 trucks since the airbox is closer to the grill and head light
    I have run both the dry and the oiled filters in both my trucks it is a good idea to run a prefilter sock on the oiled to help keep bugs, leaves, grass and the odd time feathers out of the folds of the filter but remember to take it off once it gets cold they like to frost up in the winter
    if you go oiled filter it is a good idea to get a second filter they take a while to dry when cleaning and take time to watch the video that S&B has on youtube as to how to clean it right
    if you forget and are in a pinch with the dry filters you can tap off alot of dust but still better to change them out
    There you go. I didn't know they had that sock. Cool Thanks for the Tid Bit Clay.

Feathers? What have you been hitting? Chickens?

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Learned something new... didnt know the socks didnt like the cold.

In pursuit of more power in which the wallet will allow mods to date. Edge Evolution, Banks Air Filter, 5" cat back Banks Monster exhaust, Billet built auto trans Triple disc TC, Derale trans cooler, Sinister coolant filter,5" aluminum drive shafts
    Gary

http://igotacummins.com/vbrides.php?...3#.VT-wuiFVhBc

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    There you go. I didn't know they had that sock. Cool Thanks for the Tid Bit Clay.

Feathers? What have you been hitting? Chickens?
    yup I have hit more than on wild chicken some people call them grouse

9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

the socks like to frost up when there is fog in the morning and up here we get ice fog at times

10. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

yup I have hit more than on wild chicken some people call them grouse
    I remember I hit one with my 08. I'm sure I hit it in Pa, discovered it in Iowa

11. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I never hit a chicken, a goose however yes.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

12. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

thanks for all the input guys and right before I got off the computer I saw they didn make em for the second gen but I could prob make my own from stainless kinda curious on how much benefit id actually get from it tho thanks again!

13. Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post