Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On the hunt for power! need some advice

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

On the hunt for power! need some advice

I currently planning my changes to the motor. As of right now I have my motor fire ringed Arp headstuds push rods and valve springs. And a full built billet trans.
    so far I know or have already purchased:
    Diesel power source compounds 62 over 80
    3 piece exhuast manifold
    3.5 in intercooler piping
    pusher intake with cross air
    mitsimoto radiator
    fleece coolant bypass
    Edge drag comp
    Fass 150
    trans cooler
    what I need is advice on the above mods and ideas for:
    Injectors that aren't too smokey and have no idle haze
    Cam shaft
    A new vp pump or a p pump conversion
    anything else anyone wants to chime in on
    thanks in advance

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

I will lean P-pump

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Best guy I know to advise you on that is @Canadiandiesel Man knows his shtuff

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 24vVP44DragTruck View Post
    I currently planning my changes to the motor. As of right now I have my motor fire ringed Arp headstuds push rods and valve springs. And a full built billet trans.
    so far I know or have already purchased:
    Diesel power source compounds 62 over 80
    3 piece exhuast manifold
    3.5 in intercooler piping
    pusher intake with cross air
    mitsimoto radiator
    fleece coolant bypass
    Edge drag comp
    Fass 150
    trans cooler
    what I need is advice on the above mods and ideas for:
    Injectors that aren't too smokey and have no idle haze
    Cam shaft
    A new vp pump or a p pump conversion
    anything else anyone wants to chime in on
    thanks in advance

Talk to Tim @AccurateDiesel on the injectors and the VP44. The best guy I ever met in the business.

As a Note: He is one of our advertising vendors. Please buy from him. You WILL NOT go wrong with Tim.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Permanent Vacation AccurateDiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

Very kind words - Thank you!

Could you tell us how the truck will be used - daily driving, towing, drag racing, sled pulling, etc, and also if you have a specific horsepower target in mind?

Thanks

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I'm wanting 800hp. I would like to daily drive however I realize that an 800hp in a vp truck is hard to do. But at the very least I want maximum power for a daily driver. Fuel milage is not a concern of mine. I do drag race the truck once a month and I sled pull maybe 2 times a year. What do you have in mind @AccurateDiesel

7. Top Of Page | #7
    guru of all things diesel Canadiandiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

You can do the ve pump but your going to fight it to get to 800 steady, the p pump will be the way to go, make sure you have a fuel pressure gauge dedicated to the lift pump for it though, don't need to burn the pump out when the lift goes.

What is the size of injectors your thinking or have?

Personally you can keep the stock camshaft they are good to the 800 range, however if your on the war path invest into a Hamilton cams 188-220 for best all around performance, I personally do not trust colt cams no matter how far they have come, the practices are the same from the beginning.

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I do currently have a lift pump fuel pressure gauge due to the VP44 pump. I know it may sound stupid but I do have some pride in staying vp44 and I do have a 53 block I love it when people ask about my current set up and get to say just a crappy vp44 53 block. Currently I have 7x .009 VCO and I have a set of schied lightening 2 the 6 x.012. The problem I have with th3 schied ones are they are super smokey at idle. I'm down for injector suggestions. I have the motor built minus the cam and have the trans built for power. I am however set in my turbo set up I have the 62 over 80 compounds. What do you recommend injector wise. And if I due convert to p pump what route should I go or do you have a good vp44 pump suggeston @Canadiandiesel

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I was thinking 7x .011

10. Top Of Page | #10
    guru of all things diesel Canadiandiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

I was about to say that, and don't believe all the hype about the 53 block, yes they were not the best, but if your careful on the engine and build it right you will be fine. And when you do the racing/ pulls just get it up to temperature first before you do anything, less of a shock to the block that way.

If your determined to stay vp get it done by blue chip from what everyone is saying for reliable function, but if your going to go nuts, give your money to Scheid for the best of the best for performance.

If you decide to go p pump invest into the 13mm from Scheid.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast