Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Coal rolling' banned, could prove costly in New Jersey

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Thumbs up 'Coal rolling' banned, could prove costly in New Jersey

This is what "coal rolling" looks like, as diesel exhaust spews from the tractor of Jeremy DeLuca, of Hackettstown, during an August 2008 competition at the Hunterdon County 4-H Fair at the county fairgrounds in West Amwell Township.

Fueled by quests for Internet fame, and the ignominy of the environmentally conscientious, diesel drivers who coal roll in New Jersey could face a hefty bill.

Coal rolling, alternatively known as rolling coal, is now banned in the Garden State.

Gov. Chris Christie on Monday signed legislation passed in the Senate as S2418 and Assembly as A3583 prohibiting "retrofitting diesel-powered vehicles to increase particulate emissions for the purpose of 'coal rolling'" and prohibiting "the practice of 'coal rolling.'"

The law takes effect immediately.

Bill sponsor Assemblyman Tim Eustace, D-Bergen, got the idea for the bill after a raised pickup truck coal-rolled his Nissan Leaf, nj.com reports. The Internet boasts a whole community of diesel enthusiasts who get laughs from belching thick black smoke — on purpose — in the direction of, say, Toyota Priuses.

Other online celebrations of the practice show bicyclists, pedestrians, even roadside produce meant to suffer the pollution. Some participants in the videos stick their heads in the exhaust, despite word from the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health that "whole diesel exhaust be regarded as 'a potential occupational carcinogen.'"

As for penalties, the measure points to existing New Jersey law on "fine particle emissions from certain vehicles and equipment powered by diesel engines" that calls for a fine of up to $5,000, set by the state Commissioner of Environmental Protection.
    According to the nj.com report, the law is redundant: New Jersey Department of Environmental regulations already say that vehicles "shall not emit visible smoke, whether from crankcase emissions or from tailpipe exhaust, for a period in excess of three consecutive seconds." And the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency says modifying trucks to belch smoke is illegal under federal law.

"The grass is greener where you water it"

2. Thanks Weeseven thanked for this post
    Likes sigiii66 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

we just gotta be smarter with what we do....it sucks, but oh well

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Weeseven liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

A well tuned clean running diesel engine makes more torque and hp anyway. I agree with these laws. Sad that a few idiots had to push the law to this though.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sigiii66 View Post
    we just gotta be smarter with what we do....it sucks, but oh well
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockwerx View Post
    A well tuned clean running diesel engine makes more torque and hp anyway. I agree with these laws. Sad that a few idiots had to push the law to this though.
    We gotta live with it. . . .

Does this mean if you want to get more power and economy we can't modify it? LOL Doesn't say anything about removing the smog controls

The only time the ol' bus smokes is when I have a load on it and then it's only a haze. Medium haze if I am pushing it

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

true.....it's really only saying no performance parts that would induce blowing smoke....but gotta be careful with "I want bigger injectors to maximize my fuel economy" lmao

9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sigiii66 View Post
    true.....it's really only saying no performance parts that would induce blowing smoke....but gotta be careful with "I want bigger injectors to maximize my fuel economy" lmao
    I think we could have a debate! LOL

I wonder how the state is going to handle out of staters.

I think the removal of the smog is a double edge sword. It is illegal to remove it, but the law is not clear. When I last read the law on this, it said it was mandatory in 2010. Prior to that they were voluntary, but it's illegal to remove the devices. SO! That said, let's say you get stopped for blowing smoke in yout 09. You could get fined for the smoke, and literally impounded for the removal of the DPF. It's a $50K fine for removing the catalytic converter as it is. Removing the DPF is a gray area

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Steve, at this point it is any exhaust modification, and tuner,

I am going to be well rehearsed in these laws as I now have 4 tickets in 3 days because my exhaust is gone. As soon as I get the full copy of the law, (Hopefully by email) I will post it. It is vauge in its "anything that allows, or increases the amount of smoke a diesel vehicle makes" line to include tuners, exhaust modifications, injectors, turbos, you get the idea.

They will send a camera up your exhaust to the muffler, to see if it is a real muffler, or just a bigger pipe welded around a 4" straight through
    Been there too.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    I think we could have a debate! LOL

I wonder how the state is going to handle out of staters.

I think the removal of the smog is a double edge sword. It is illegal to remove it, but the law is not clear. When I last read the law on this, it said it was mandatory in 2010. Prior to that they were voluntary, but it's illegal to remove the devices. SO! That said, let's say you get stopped for blowing smoke in yout 09. You could get fined for the smoke, and literally impounded for the removal of the DPF. It's a $50K fine for removing the catalytic converter as it is. Removing the DPF is a gray area
    I am out of state and been issues tickets for it already. its really a redundant law to bring light to the less enforced older laws. if they don't write you for the newer one, they will write you for the older one.

2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

6 in a row makes her go

12. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

As Stated I will post when i got it

Quote Originally Posted by NJ State Law View Post
    SYNOPSIS

Prohibits retrofitting diesel-powered vehicles to increase particulate emissions for the purpose of “coal rolling”; prohibits the practice of “coal rolling.”
    CURRENT VERSION OF TEXT
    As introduced.
    AN ACT concerning certain retrofits to diesel-powered vehicles and supplementing P.L.2005, c.219 (C.26:2C-8.26 et al.).
    BE IT ENACTED by the Senate and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey:
    1. No person shall retrofit any diesel-powered vehicle with any device, smoke stack, or other equipment which enhances the vehicle’s capacity to emit soot, smoke, or other particulate emissions, or shall purposely release significant quantities of soot, smoke, or other particulate emissions into the air and onto roadways and other vehicles while operating the vehicle, colloquially referred to as “coal rolling.” Any person who violates this section shall be subject to the penalties established pursuant to section 27 of P.L.2005, c.219 (C.26:2C-8.52) and any other applicable law.
    2. This act shall take effect immediately.
    STATEMENT
    This bill prohibits, and establishes penalties for:
    1) retrofitting any diesel-powered vehicle with any device, smoke stack, or other equipment which enhances the vehicle’s capacity to emit soot, smoke, or other particulate emissions; and
    2) purposely releasing significant quantities of soot, smoke, or other particulate emissions into the air and onto roadways and other vehicles while operating the vehicle.

2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty

6 in a row makes her go

13. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

As explained to me by a state police Sargent, It is vague, there is a lot to be left to the officers discretion.

4" exhaust by some is modified in this way, to other it is not.

Tuners are in the catagory here, although not specificity stated.

Stacks are straight out called illegal,

I will weigh in more after a few comments, and after work.

2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty

6 in a row makes her go

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast