Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Air dog + winter

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Air dog + winter

So on my 97 12 valve there is an airdog 100 on it. After figuring out my priming issues, i am having problems with my fuel in the winter. I have the airdog fed with a sump from the tank. I think that the cold air is affecting the filters due to them being almost out in the open, compared to stock which would have been protected and warmed by the block. . It seems below -10 ambient temp i can count on it not starting. A guy i work with never plugs in his dmax and his still started and my boss has a 6.7 that started fine or he left it running below -20. I have been running additive and checking for water. Is there a way to help with this?

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Yup! I wrote an article on the a week ago.

By state law, PA sells you 15% bio. Yup that's right. Ask your fuel dealer unless his wife uses him as a floor mop. The bio produces a wax that plugs up the filters from 40*F and below. Fuel treatments do not address the Bio fuel wax problem, other than to say they can't help us. The solution is to heat the fuel. I am in the process of making a fuel heater vs. the 200 bucks for the factory heaters. Heating the fuel is not a 100% solution, it's like a 95%. The hotter fuel will eventually dissolve the wax in the filters.

Stock fuel filters have a heater in them.

Air Dog. My condolences. @Kburkhart

http://igotacummins.com/showthread.p...tion-and-a-fix

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I know fass makes a heater, maybe air dog does? Idk, my 09 has a fass w/o heater and she's started up in the negatives without being plugged in no problem. What additive are you using?

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thewildkarrd@doublerdiesel View Post
    I know fass makes a heater, maybe air dog does? Idk, my 09 has a fass w/o heater and she's started up in the negatives without being plugged in no problem. What additive are you using?
    DieselKleen. You know I have been battling with the fuel pressure drop for a couple of years now. 3000 miles and the filters are partially plugged up. The heater will cost less than 30 bucks. I want to find an ambient thermostat to turn it off at 60* and above.

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I have been using power service winter and 911 as needed. I had toyed with a filter wrap idea. Just was not to sure of the idea. And the waxing might be a hard battle. Seems like it needs treated like veggie oil. I have thought of switching pumps completely. But now that i think about it, lowes or home depot sells plug in tape for water pipes? Could i just wrap that around the pump and filters. I know cords be a prob but better than being stuck. For the 2 weeks of the year it sure is a pain

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

No No No No You can't do an effective job with heat tape. and heat tape will probably burn your alternator out. The fuel needs to be heated like to 100+*. The heater element is submerged.

Bio fuel is Veggie oil so yes, it needs to be handled directly. 911 and the rest will not deal with the waxing problem from Bio fuels.

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

The tape i was just going to plug in with the block heater. Everywhere i go fo extended i have access to outlets.

I was looking at the link you provided in your other thread, where in the line would i want to put that to make a difference? Seems like it might work alright.

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

You won't need that. It's electric from the truck. See if air dog has a heater available

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I emailed them already. I would have figured they would have thought of this cold weather stuff being they are in Indiana aren't they?

10. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Sure am glad we don't have this issue up here