Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: not wanting to start

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Unhappy not wanting to start

My 07 5.9 is not wanting to start. I've replaced the fuel return line in case there was a hole in the line. It has EFI Live custom tuning if that makes a difference and an Air dog 150. It's not throwing a code and I've narrowed it down to fuel relief valve, rail pressure sensor, or the FCA on the CP3. I don't really want to replace all 3 things just to find out what it is or if any of them are even the problem. It does start sometimes but still cranks longer than it should. Help a lady out.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Do you have any gauges?

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

No gauges for rail pressure but had a friend scan it with a snap on computer and my rail pressure was fine. If you get on it really hard it does surge like it's not getting enough fuel though.

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I would install a line plug at the injector rail on each injector line before you try anything else. Geno's Garage has them and other sources. Cousin spent a ton of money on this before I got involved. Truck runs fantastic after started with no codes but will not fire up after sitting a short time. Problem is the return check valve in the injector itself is bad, there may be more than one.

Needs at least 4k pressure to start, but idles at much less. You have to get it over 4k to start but injector return won't hold it. Put the plug on each supply line one by one and see if it starts. If it won't start by doing this, it may have more than one out but that's harder to check because you don't want to plug more than 2 at a time. Could still be one of the other things you listed, but I would check this first. This will not set any fault codes or make your CEL come on when it's doing it, but will set a CEL most likely from cranking with the injector plugged.

Hope this helps.

5. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post