Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Waxing with new fuels and Bio Fuel. FASS has an explanation and a fix

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Fuel Waxing with new fuels and Bio Fuel. FASS has an explanation and a fix

I have been having problems with my fuel pressure dropping off with this cold weather. I had the problem last year too and never found the cause.

I contacted FASS because my pump was making some weird noises. They told me:

In the old days there was fuel gelling. The old fuels would gel and clog key elements of the fuel system, particularly filters. Hence fuel heaters. Many of us have replaced our stock pumps with after market pumps, without heaters. Well girls and boys, it seems we are making an error and setting ourselves up.

The recent fuel has most of the sulphur removed. The fuel makers replaced the lubrication properties with a soluble Paraffin. The bigger problem is BioFuel. We're getting 10 to 15% at the pumps and don't know it. The dealers don't even know it.

It seems the paraffin separates from the fuel in much higher temperatures. The paraffin can start to separate from the fuel at +40*F! over time this will start to clog the filters. The primary water seperator on the dual filters is the first to clog.

Fuel additives cannot address this issue, and only help slightly. A few of the additive makers have addressed this with statements. Apparently there is no fuel additive that addresses the wax separation completely. The filters are now clogging with a Non-petroleum product. Heat is the only solution.

When the temperatures rise, some of the wax will dissolve back into the fuel. No damage is done by this, but you can, over time, start prematurely clogging your filters.

For those in the northern environments, Fass recommended adding it's fuel heater. This will dramatically reduce the wax separation.

Credit goes to Gene Brown in FASS Tech Support.
    @IGOTACUMMINS.COM

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

2. Thanks Power247, F350Cummins, AnOldBiker thanked for this post
    Likes F350Cummins liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I've been lucky so far this year, but I was already planning on a heater before next winter. Probably heat tape or something along those lines for the tank as well.

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thewildkarrd@doublerdiesel View Post
    I've been lucky so far this year, but I was already planning on a heater before next winter. Probably heat tape or something along those lines for the tank as well.
    I was just looking for heaters in eBay. There's dozens of choices, including fleetguard. I've been watching my fuel pressure drop to 8 PSI then jump to 22 PSI and my pump started to make funny noises. I recorded the noise and sent it to Gene who knew what it was right away. As soon as I said New Jersey, he knew. He directed me to the picture I used on FaceBook

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

That's crazy.

"The grass is greener where you water it"

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

For you handy guys, I found this

I figure I can make one for less than $50. Given the budget i have, I think this is what I am going to do. I have all the tooling and electrical stuff already

http://www.greasecar.com/forums/grea...ow-plug-heater

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

@Polaraco, order parts for 2 if you have the chance. I will bring some $$ when I bring your tools back

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

so that's why my fass was blowing fuses... had additive in it, and after it blew the first one, i dumped (alot) of 911 in it and didnt help nearly as much as advertised. dammit. haven't had issues yet. after it blew 4 fuses that is...

this explains alot, thanks!

edit: sounds like a guy should replace filters once the warm weather come then too? Just bought my pump last month, sucks I need to replace them damn things already.
    make budget for: fuel heater, electric and coolant. and fuel gauges.

2004.5 Cummins 2500 SLT - Smarty s06 - FASS 150 With Heater Element - 4" Straight pipe exhaust 8" tip - Silencer Ring MIA - Banks intake - Skyjacker lift - 20" black rims wrapped with 35" terra grapplers - Rhino line two tone - Glow shift gauges - KC lights
    100k miles, gettin broke in

9. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

@Polaraco shared this on our social media for FASS! Send them the link.

"The grass is greener where you water it"

10. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTACUMMINS.COM View Post
    @Polaraco shared this on our social media for FASS! Send them the link.
    Whada you want me to do? Send the link to who?

11. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Update::

Bought the Fass heater because winter came quicker then I thought and don't have a warm shop to fab up something, and... felt partly lazy..
    Its installed now, on my way home to Minnesota today at 0 degrees F cruising at 85mph (in a 80mph zone, no worries ) I stopped to get fuel and felt my FASS 150, the element was warm, and the filters were warm. very pleased with it, being that cold and grabbing the filters and not being cold it works well. paying that kinda money it better work...

hope this solves my "waxing" issue up here in the tundra when it hits -25...

2004.5 Cummins 2500 SLT - Smarty s06 - FASS 150 With Heater Element - 4" Straight pipe exhaust 8" tip - Silencer Ring MIA - Banks intake - Skyjacker lift - 20" black rims wrapped with 35" terra grapplers - Rhino line two tone - Glow shift gauges - KC lights
    100k miles, gettin broke in

12. Thanks Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes Polaraco, Power247 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast