Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it a bad injector

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Is it a bad injector

The problem started about a two weeks ago. Cruising down the interstate about 75 mph the turbo loses about 5psi feels like you hit strong head wind only for a few seconds. Then it right back up. Does not happen all the time. I made some calls and inquires and was told it might be the inter cooler boots. So I changed them and it still did the same. Now keep in mind it only happened at high way speeds (turbo at about 18 to 21 psi) So I called a shop and they said it was probably fuel related so I changed the fuel filter which I do at every oil change (10,000) oil is mobile one full synthic with K&N oil filter. Now when I get back to work I brought it a shop and they couldn't duplicate the problem and tell me it might be an injector. Now the injectors are new, well 60,000 miles 1.5yrs . the pick up pump is only about a 1.5yrs old as well.

Any ideas

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

How many miles on the truck? Remove the intake tube and check for shaft play on the charger.

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Year? Auto, manual? Just stuff to help us narrow possibilities down. When you changed injectors did you change the lines?

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

@AccurateDiesel might know. He's the man for this.

"The grass is greener where you water it"

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Permanent Vacation AccurateDiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

Hi!
    I doubt it is a turbo issue - the drop in boost is more likely just a reflection of the loss of engine power output. We're probably going to need to see some scan data to analyze what is going on here. I would be particularly interested in graphing desired and actual rail pressure during the event.

6. Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Ahhhhh Lift pump crapping? Fuel gelling? If i read this right it comes and goes right?

I just love dribbles of info here. We want all the info on the truck. Year, mileage, mods,

How are we supposed to make educated guess's with no information?

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

It's a 2004 2500 5.9 vin with the c in it. it has 342,000 miles Bully dog triple tuner. Automatic trans. It starts fine but at idle it runs as if it was cold natured (like the old gas engines that need to warm up first) once it temp get up to about 130 are so it smooths out and idles just fine. This what the shop is telling me " when revv'd up it idles down very rough when cold. still shutters on the down even when warm. Rail pressure is normal. Boost and rail pressure was normal."

Yep it comes and goes. Now pulling a load its doesn't happen and when I keep the highway speed down to @70 when boost is low it doesn't happen. I also had the lines changed as well. I can hear the lift running when I first turn the key. Then it goes off. Gelling is been cold but not that cold I'm in La. and South Tx. I do run Lucas fuel treatment every other tank.

Polaraco, Hope ya'll are doing well with all that snow ya'll had.....

9. Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    It's a 2004 2500 5.9 vin with the c in it. it has 342,000 miles Bully dog triple tuner. Automatic trans. It starts fine but at idle it runs as if it was cold natured (like the old gas engines that need to warm up first) once it temp get up to about 130 are so it smooths out and idles just fine. This what the shop is telling me " when revv'd up it idles down very rough when cold. still shutters on the down even when warm. Rail pressure is normal. Boost and rail pressure was normal."

Yep it comes and goes. Now pulling a load its doesn't happen and when I keep the highway speed down to @70 when boost is low it doesn't happen. I also had the lines changed as well. I can hear the lift running when I first turn the key. Then it goes off. Gelling is been cold but not that cold I'm in La. and South Tx. I do run Lucas fuel treatment every other tank.

Polaraco, Hope ya'll are doing well with all that snow ya'll had.....
    I'm just grumpy to begin with. LOL That storm blew past me and hit New England. Phew! Thanks

Is the fuel pump in the tank or on the back of the fuel filter? When was the fuel filter serviced last? You need to read the fuel pressure. I would think the rail pressure would be effected, but it depends on how much air is in the lines. The volume could be low and still maintain pressure.

Get some Archoil 6200 fuel treatment and see if that helps some. If it does help, then you may need injectors. But cneck that fuel pump out first

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

11. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I missed one fuel filter change instead of 10,000 it had 20,000 miles.I just changed it last week and only about 750 miles on it. I plan on using it today to run around a bit then to see if it acts up. On the way to work in Tx. I kept it about 70 then at the last 75 miles I tried to keep the speed up there to see if it would do it again but nothing. So I'll try it again and see what happens.

Oh yea, the pick up pump is in the tank. The one on side of filter went out so.... You know hind site 20/20. If I knew then I what know now would have put a FASS pick up pump on it.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I saw this behavior on an 06. Turned out to be his lift pump was going bad. There's nothing wrong with an in tank. They're not too easy to service, that's all.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast