Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel leak can't find it

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Fuel leak can't find it

I Have a 03 cummins which keep's leaking fuel near #5 injector line I replaced #4 and #5 line thinking it was one of them washed it off really good and it is still leaking fuel I can't see fuel leaking with engine running and even at a high rpm but fuel keep's coming up right where the rear engine lift point is by #5 any one have any tips?

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

@AccurateDiesel any pointers?

"The grass is greener where you water it"

3. Thanks 4x4kingx889 thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3
    Permanent Vacation AccurateDiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

Hi!
    First and foremost, PLEASE be very very careful. Stay well away from the leakage area with the engine running. High pressure fuel as I'm sure you know can inject right through the skin, eye, etc - really bad news!

Buy some white aerosol spray foot powder, dry everything off well with compressed air, then spray everything down with the white powder. Start the engine just briefly, and shut it off, then look for the damp area which the powder will easily show. I'm guessing we may have to replace either a connector tube or the rail itself.

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, 4x4kingx889, Weeseven thanked for this post
    Likes Weeseven, Rockwerx liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Thank's for the idea I will try that this week any idea tho what can be leaking in that area? I replaced the two lines and the rail is dry and all the line's coming out of rail are dry

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AccurateDiesel View Post
    Hi!
    First and foremost, PLEASE be very very careful. Stay well away from the leakage area with the engine running. High pressure fuel as I'm sure you know can inject right through the skin, eye, etc - really bad news!

Buy some white aerosol spray foot powder, dry everything off well with compressed air, then spray everything down with the white powder. Start the engine just briefly, and shut it off, then look for the damp area which the powder will easily show. I'm guessing we may have to replace either a connector tube or the rail itself.
    I was thinking the cross over tube nut is loose. But that will open up a new can of snakes. It has to be fixed

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Is that a hard or expensive fix if it is the crossover tube?

10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

No. new tube is $36.75 - not really any more difficult than changing the line.

11. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, 4x4kingx889 thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Thank you I will do your trick and check it do I need new seal's or a new tube? and If i understand I must torque the tube's correct? and you guy's are great!

13. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Polaraco thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Thanks! Yes, current recommendation on connector tube torque is 41 ft-lbs.

15. Thanks Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes Polaraco, 4x4kingx889 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Pulled the tube out looked new had a orange o ring which looked in good shape I put a little grease on it and reinstalled and torqued it down...also can I run the engine with the lift brackit off to make it easier to look for leaks?

17. Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast