Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Intake/Exhaust popping noise

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Intake/Exhaust popping noise

Hope I'm not repeating an old thread but I couldn't find an existing one. Trucks an 06 2500 with EFI by Ryan, CAI, intake horn, and 5" exhaust. A few weeks ago I noticed a "popping" sound in the exhaust and intake. Didn't think much of it. Now it's gotten louder and more noticeable. This morning me and my brother adjusted the valve lash but the sound is still there. So I did some more googling and read on other forums and everyone was pointing towards a possible bad exhaust valve seat. What are your guys' thoughts/suggestions on this?

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tabaka11 View Post
    Hope I'm not repeating an old thread but I couldn't find an existing one. Trucks an 06 2500 with EFI by Ryan, CAI, intake horn, and 5" exhaust. A few weeks ago I noticed a "popping" sound in the exhaust and intake. Didn't think much of it. Now it's gotten louder and more noticeable. This morning me and my brother adjusted the valve lash but the sound is still there. So I did some more googling and read on other forums and everyone was pointing towards a possible bad exhaust valve seat. What are your guys' thoughts/suggestions on this?
    OK this may sound dumb but I'm gonna ask for a reason

When you are listening to the noise, does it sound like a perfect pop or more like a phfft phfft. Get that from the exhaust

Did you happen to check the injector retainer bolts in the head when you did the lash?

Is the oil clean? Any tan cloudy foam?

Are you losing any coolant?

What was done to the truck last before this started?

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Sounds more like a pop to me I will take a video and upload to YouTube and post the link here. No I didn't check any bolts, are they known to come loose? Oils black but didn't notice anything else no wweird colors, foam etc...

Coolant hasn't moved a hair since the day I bought it.

I can't think of anything I did recently. It just started happening.

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tabaka11 View Post
    Sounds more like a pop to me I will take a video and upload to YouTube and post the link here. No I didn't check any bolts, are they known to come loose? Oils black but didn't notice anything else no wweird colors, foam etc...

Coolant hasn't moved a hair since the day I bought it.

I can't think of anything I did recently. It just started happening.
    OK process of elimination. Look for the obvious. Tim? @AccurateDiesel

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Top Of Page | #5
    Permanent Vacation AccurateDiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

Hi, Sounds like a great case for a FirstLook sensor (http://senxtech.com/)
    No, I don't sell them, no affiliation, just a really neat way to see engine mechanical problems without doing "intrusive" testing.

Failing that, I think I would disable cylinders one at a time and see if that makes a difference. I would not rule out an injector issue causing the sound. If killing a certain cylinder stops the noise, then we have to determine the next step..... pull the injector and get it tested? swap the injector to another cylinder and see if the problem follows? Do a compression and/or leak-down test on the affected cylinder?

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Cant really hear it in the exhaust in the video but pretty loud in the intake. Another thing I thought was odd is I adjusted the valve lash 10k ago and when we did it this morning intake 1 & 2 were in the .030 range. What could cause those two to be off so far? In such a short period of time?

9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AccurateDiesel View Post
    Hi, Sounds like a great case for a FirstLook sensor (http://senxtech.com/)
    No, I don't sell them, no affiliation, just a really neat way to see engine mechanical problems without doing "intrusive" testing.

Failing that, I think I would disable cylinders one at a time and see if that makes a difference. I would not rule out an injector issue causing the sound. If killing a certain cylinder stops the noise, then we have to determine the next step..... pull the injector and get it tested? swap the injector to another cylinder and see if the problem follows? Do a compression and/or leak-down test on the affected cylinder?
    Thanks Tim

I think you are thinking the same thing I am. Valve train problem. Maybe some broken valve springs?

Like Tim said you need to go through the cylinders. Do you have access to a scan tool? Not a code reader. . . . A real scan tool. You need to do a cylinder cancel and a cylinder contribution test.

Both #1 valves were off?

10. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

link to the video

11. Top Of Page | #9
    Permanent Vacation AccurateDiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

No problem. I was thinking more along the lines of a valve not sealing properly. I suspect a broken spring would probably have been noticed during the valve adjustment. It's a bit odd that those two intakes were significantly off spec. Exhaust valves are much more likely to burn. You're definitely doing the right thing to follow up on it. Particularly if there is an injector issue, it is wise to follow up on it ASAP to prevent any potential piston / cylinder damage.

12. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Ya the truck is parked now. Saturday we are looking at it. Will start with easy stuff like shutting off injectors and checking valve train etc...if we find nothing the heads coming off. Today when we did the valves we started it and all the rockers and valve train looked fine. But will do more in depth looking on Saturday. Injectors wouldn't surprise me either, the thing starts hard, constant haze out the tailpipe and gets dogs*** mileage

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast