Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm a Smarty Nit Wit Need some help where to start

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

you might be getting rail pop. i think you have to change the timing to get ride of that. what did you set it to?
    my truck NEVER smoked with the smarty. (might be an issue with my truck) i don't have gauges to know what the RP was. if you change the rail pressure setting all it does it ramp up faster. not higher. torque managment will give you more smoke at low boost. if you have a built trans then play away, else keep it at 1 or 2. the timing is where your going to get the best MPG's runing empty i usually ran the timing on wild. when i would tow i uninstalled the smarty all together. if it was any sort or weight. my small flat bed with the Rhino i didn't but the 5th wheel i would.
    can you get video of the POP? search rail pop on CF see what they say. there is also a GREAT thread on the smarty setting over there.
    http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/20...d-03-04-a.html
    lotsa lotsa info

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Killer223 View Post
    you might be getting rail pop. i think you have to change the timing to get ride of that. what did you set it to?
    my truck NEVER smoked with the smarty. (might be an issue with my truck) i don't have gauges to know what the RP was. if you change the rail pressure setting all it does it ramp up faster. not higher. torque managment will give you more smoke at low boost. if you have a built trans then play away, else keep it at 1 or 2. the timing is where your going to get the best MPG's runing empty i usually ran the timing on wild. when i would tow i uninstalled the smarty all together. if it was any sort or weight. my small flat bed with the Rhino i didn't but the 5th wheel i would.
    can you get video of the POP? search rail pop on CF see what they say. there is also a GREAT thread on the smarty setting over there.
    http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/20...d-03-04-a.html
    lotsa lotsa info
    Thanks Bud

After the one fiasco I had there, where we met, I think I'd rather have that info here. I have a hard time dealing with a bunch of disrespectful spoiled kids. Even the military ones are brats. Too much drama. I think you and I are on the same page with that. But I'll take a look. . . . . Thanks

I left all the settings like you described in your best MPG settings, except I backed the timing down to 2. ( I think- - I have to look)

Never heard of rail pop. Must be a smarty thing. A topic I have been avoiding for years. LOL

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Top Of Page | #13
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Rail pop is new to me too. I've never heard one pop thru the exhaust before... fingers crossed it was just a hiccup and everything smooths out for ya

4. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thewildkarrd@doublerdiesel View Post
    Rail pop is new to me too. I've never heard one pop thru the exhaust before... fingers crossed it was just a hiccup and everything smooths out for ya
    Yeah ****** Polaraco crosses his fingers*******

I raised the timing from 3 to 4 from 3. I have to work tomorrow so we'll see. I can always go back. Need to listen to the engine

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Here's an update. I set the timing just like Killer did. Truck is not quite as strong as the Quad on 10, bit it's more responsive with the timing on 4. I have to run it along a concrete wall with the window down just to make sure there is no timing detonation, but I doubt it. Haven't heard anything so far. Smoke is down from Timing 3. EGT's are down slightly, maybe 100*. Fuel wise, it will take a few days. I only ran around town today, maybe 10 miles

I've been meaning to tell you it starts much easier. That's since I did the tone ring mod on the crank.

6. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

What main SW did you choose? 5? if you want more go go then load SW9. leave all setting at default, or 2.
    for the most timing i think you choose 2, three is less then 2 and 4 is less then 3. it weird how its set up. read the paperwork it's kinda difficult in the way they worded it,

7. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

What main SW did you choose? 5? if you want more go go then load SW9. leave all setting at default, or 2.
    for the most timing i think you choose 2, three is less then 2 and 4 is less then 3. it weird how its set up. read the paperwork it's kinda difficult in the way they worded it,
    I set it the way you said was most successful for you. Have to read back. But I am pretty sure I started with 5, RP was 2 and the timing is at 4

8. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

i would change all the setting back to default, so press 0 when they are selected. then program SW 5 or sw 7, if you want more get up n go you sw 9, but unless you have after market lift pump you might starve the CP3 for fuel.
    i would shout for default setting first. then change it up from there. if you want more low end response then change the torque management to 3 or 4.

9. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

i would change all the setting back to default, so press 0 when they are selected. then program SW 5 or sw 7, if you want more get up n go you sw 9, but unless you have after market lift pump you might starve the CP3 for fuel.
    i would shout for default setting first. then change it up from there. if you want more low end response then change the torque management to 3 or 4.
    Gee whiz. . . .it's cold out there! LOL

Lower torque range makes sense for this suburban driving.

10. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Hey Drew. I may have an ever so slight detonation on acceleration. It's really hard to tell. Ever since I installed the Smarty, the engine sounds different. It looks like my mileage may have gone up though, at least around here

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast