Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: problem with cold start.

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

problem with cold start.

Hey guys im new to the forum, I have a 01 5.9 auto 4x4 with 230,000+ miles on it and this winter it will not start if sitting in the cold for long periods of time. If its plugged in over night it will start most of the time, i tested batterys and they are good and i have a fuel pressure gauge and my fuel pressure is 16psi at idel when started and when cranking goes to 18psi. so if its sitts for awhile the only way to get it to start is give it a shot of starting fluid. Last year when i had my truck i could leave it outside over night not plugged in under 30 degrees and it would always start. so idk if im loosing prime or what?

2. Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Sounds more like grid heater either isn't cycling or if it is its not heating up. I'd start with fuse, then relay, then heater itself.

4. Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

@Polaraco what do you make of this?

"The grass is greener where you water it"

6. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Relays are easy to get to... but also just thought, if you have an temp gun you can turn the key on to let the heaters cycle. Shoot temp at base of intake horn where they are located. Should be a pretty big difference in temp from there to almost anywhere else on engine if they are working

Attached Images Attached Images

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thewildkarrd@doublerdiesel View Post
    Relays are easy to get to... but also just thought, if you have an temp gun you can turn the key on to let the heaters cycle. Shoot temp at base of intake horn where they are located. Should be a pretty big difference in temp from there to almost anywhere else on engine if they are working
    When the grid heater cycles you can feel its warm to the touch and the other day i had my lift pump read out 0psi i orederd a fass but i went out the other day and for the hell of it so see if it was reading psi and it was and it started on starting fluid

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I also have new injectors if i need them i read on another post that it could be a leaking injector causing a loss of prime? and another forum said a bad pump can cause a loss of prime and my fuel pump has been running fine all winter at full throttle never fell below 8psi but the other day when it read out 0 i figure maybe the pump was the issue its the original carter pump

9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTACUMMINS.COM View Post
    @Polaraco what do you make of this?
    That other forum is loaded with guessers. Anybody that knows anything has left.

Not sure. A clue to me is the pump pressure is dropping to zero when the grid heater is engaged. Bad batteries or bad battery connections is an initial reaction.

Try to start it ice cold and jump start.

I haven't had my 01 in 11 years so I forget

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

10. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Well if it feels warm and grid heater is cycling. Didn't know fuel pressure was dropping to 0. Do what grumps said. It's amazing how much havoc weak batteries can cause

11. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Thanks for the help guys the only thing is i just tested my battery's i work at a ford dealership and we don't have any diesel techs there or id ask them but I tested the battery's and they test good there 800cca dry cells but there 7 years old and that is super old for battery's but they still test good?

12. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

How did you test them? Load test I'm guessing. If you were losing prime it wouldn't matter if truck was plugged in or not. Would have same symptoms no matter temp.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast