Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&B or AFE For Christmas?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

S&B or AFE For Christmas?

My son has an '01 5 speed with a FASS, 5" straight pipe and a SMARTY. Looking to get one of these as a gift this year for him. He does live down a dirt road but not sure if that matters. From what I have seen from pics it looks like the S&B has 2 intakes with optional covers and the AFE has 2 without covers. Am I right?
    I have no experience with these so can someone tell me which would be best. And also which stage as I know nothing of that.?
    Thanks!!

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

The S & B has the two openings. One is down by the fender well and the other draws the air from the inner fender where the stock one does. From what I can tell, the only time dust would be a problem is if he's following someone or stops in the middle of the road from stirring up dust. The S & B has a cover over the top of the enclosure. The filter element is completely enclosed. I thought the AFE was wide open.

My personal preference is the S & B

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

S&B here and happy with it.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I've been happy with my AFE. Now I know for 3rd Gen (at least 06-09 3rds) they do have an enclosed filter box. I just have the open filter on mine. Either is a good choice. I just pick AFE because I've used them on other trucks and I don't have to oil the filter

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

That's another question! Are the Dry filters easy to clean or should it be disposable only? Either brand

'06 3500 SRW LWB
    G56 Valair DD
    90HP Dynomite Injs.
    Cat. Removed
    Wallet Empty
    AutoMeter Pyro.

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fourteen View Post
    That's another question! Are the Dry filters easy to clean or should it be disposable only? Either brand
    Easy to wash. Simple green and a garden hose, let dry. They're made of cotton. If you have some compressed air, you can blow them back after washing.

You are supposed to spray a thin coat of oil on the reusables. Not supposed to soak them. You can go 6 mo to a year without servicing them Last time I had an AFE it was supposed to be oiled. But that's quite a while ago

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Like grumps said on washing. AFE had choices. Oiled or dry. I prefer the dry. But that's me

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

S&B or AFE For Christmas?

So what's the differences in the stage 1&2 as far as S&B goes and is there a vendor on here I can purchase from?

'06 3500 SRW LWB
    G56 Valair DD
    90HP Dynomite Injs.
    Cat. Removed
    Wallet Empty
    AutoMeter Pyro.

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

www.Truckwurx.com Diesel dogs, k-Sons

Look at the vendor list if you want more

10. Top Of Page | #10
    Permanent Vacation Diesel Dawgs Performance's Avatar

User Info Menu

I've sold lots of both with happy customers. I personally like S&B

11. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast