Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One Person Smokes Out A Senator, New State Law Banning Modifications

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Post One Person Smokes Out A Senator, New State Law Banning Modifications

By Richard Bennett posted Today in News

Having a little fun out in the country with no one around isn't the problem.

Before diesel performance became main stream and electronic tuning made making power easy, a truck that could “roll coal” was cool. It was like a badge of honor. Only a few could do it and it indicated that you can put a lot of time and money into your rig.

Political statements like this, have gone too far and have resulted in new laws.

Today, “rolling coal” has gotten out of control. Too many people are doing it because they think smoking people out is funny or it is a way of rebelling. Well, do you remember what happened when you were a little kid and you rebelled against your parents?

That’s right, you were punished. Someone decided to smoke out an Assemblyman in New Jersey while he was driving his Nissan Leaf. A few days later, that Assemblyman, Tim Eustace proposed a bill that could change everything across the country. Our entire industry could be affected if other states join.

New Jersey has officially, approved a bill to ban “coal rolling.” Isn’t that just great. The Bill S2418 was sponsored by Sen. Linda Greenstein and passed by a vote of 36-0. The Senate bill states that it would ban, “retrofitting any diesel-powered vehicle with any devise, smoke stack or other equipment which enhances the vehicle’s capacity to emit soot, smoke or other particulate emissions, as well as purposely releasing significant quantities of soot, smoke or other particulate emissions into the air and onto the roadways and other vehicles while operating the vehicle.”

Linda Greenstein just changed everything. With her backing, we may no longer be able to legally modify our trucks.
    Photo courtesy of NJ.com

Violations would result in a fine set by the State Department of Environmental Protection (DEP). DEP regulations say vehicles “shall not emit visible smoke, whether from crankcase emissions or from tailpipe exhaust, for a period in excess of three consecutive seconds.” NJ officials claim that the “coal rolling” practice violates federal law. They are looking to make the ban explicit.

Generally, California leads the way in emissions regulations and other states follow. So, it will be interesting to see if California adopts this new regulation.

We recently purchased a 2006 Dodge Mega Cab for a project vehicle. In stock form, this truck will violate this new law. It is actually written that any modifications to the vehicle could be illegal. The words “equipment which enhances the vehicle’s capacity to emit soot,” could pertain to programmers, turbochargers, injectors, fuel system upgrades, exhaust upgrades (these are explicit called out), and basically anything that changes how the engine operates (even intakes for that matter).

So, now ask yourself, how cool is it to smoke people out? Tell us your thoughts on this? Do you think it will be a trend that sweeps the country?

"The grass is greener where you water it"

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

yes I know All stacks are illegal in NJ now. Seen 2 impounded in hackettstown already. A lot of local guys complaining.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

3. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

According to the Police in town, (station is right next to work ) I spoke with an officer and he said fine if $5000 for smoking $2500,for a device that helps the spewing of smoke, and they allow for impound, and thats just first offence. I can get more info Monday.

2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

6 in a row makes her go

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by F350Cummins View Post
    According to the Police in town, (station is right next to work ) I spoke with an officer and he said fine if $5000 for smoking $2500,for a device that helps the spewing of smoke, and they allow for impound, and thats just first offence. I can get more info Monday.
    Dang!

"The grass is greener where you water it"

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/1....1969.10469339 a study they used
    http://www.stopthesoot.org/ not yet updated
    http://www.state.nj.us/dep/bmvim/bmvim_smoking.htm not yet updated
    http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2014/Bi...00/2418_S1.HTM link to bill
    http://insideevs.com/nissan-leaf-dri...-rolling-coal/ Best article I have seen on it

The individual must enjoy wasting money on diesel fuel because that’s what happens when you “roll coal, not to mention the fines involved with emissions tampering, which is well up into the 5 figure range and possibly involving jail time from laws that currently exist.

its insane but the price of diesel trucks just dropped here
    *edit, fixed link

2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty

6 in a row makes her go

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by F350Cummins View Post
    yes I know All stacks are illegal in NJ now. Seen 2 impounded in hackettstown already. A lot of local guys complaining.
    is this just pick ups or include big rigs also ( 10 & 18 wheelers ) if so a lot of freight will not make it to is destination either way not good

In pursuit of more power in which the wallet will allow mods to date. Edge Evolution, Banks Air Filter, 5" cat back Banks Monster exhaust, Billet built auto trans Triple disc TC, Derale trans cooler, Sinister coolant filter,5" aluminum drive shafts
    Gary

http://igotacummins.com/vbrides.php?...3#.VT-wuiFVhBc

8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

unknown, I have heard both sides.

2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty

6 in a row makes her go

9. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Shows the amazing capacity of these individuals, who like to "Roll Coal", to understand cause and effect. Many of us have been trying to get them to understand this for years...now who do you think will cry the loudest though.

10. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Those that made their truck that way and have no idea how to undo it. or don't have the budget to undo it.

I got pulled over for the 5" exhaust tip on my 4" mbrp exhaust. it is ________ insane and ridiculous.

2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty

6 in a row makes her go

11. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Oh man... what a bunch of crap!! I'll make sure I drive then wife's Durango the next time I go to CT to see the family.

Ray's custom tune really keeps the smoke down on my truck but can't take any chances...

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast