Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st gen Air Horn

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

1st gen Air Horn

Hi, I have a 1st Gen Cummins. I want to install an air horn but am not sure if my battery can handle it. i also have HID headlights and marker lights. The battery already bounces around on voltage well charging it. Its a optima red top. Are the lights pulling to much Amps for my battery or does it need to be charged? Also can one batteries handle all this or do i need to install a second battery for accessories?

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

An Air Horn has nothing to do with the Battery.

HID's draw less than the regular lamps. It's not that much to begin with.

If your voltage is jumping around, you may want to look into your grounds. I think the 91 has the old standard 2 wire voltage regulator. Make sure the ground to the body is good and the pins aren't corroded. As I recall, that has a 90 amp alternator. More than enough.

A trick on the regulator is to loosen the mounting bolts and retighten them

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Doesn't the air horn have to have power and ground from the battery? I will check that out.

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_gearhead View Post
    Doesn't the air horn have to have power and ground from the battery? I will check that out.
    Your thinking of the grid heater which is already in place, The air horn is not powered by anything electrical

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Doesn't the compressor need power though?

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Doesn't the compressor need power though?
    No. . .What compressor? That's the turbo which is driven by the exhaust.

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

A compressor that is on an air tank. Not on the block.

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

What are you talking about. Are you talking about a Beep Beep horn?

I thought you were talking about in intake air horn. Sheeesh You have to be more descriptive

If that's the case, yes the compressor needs electric. As long as the truck is running one Battery will be fine. Find out how bai an alternator you have. a 12 valve engine needs no electric to run. Just to start. It does need allot of power to start it. If that red top hasn't given you any problems in cold starting, then it's fine. It's your comment about the voltage jumping around that bothers me. Explain that better.

When is it doing it? What else is running? That alternator is just running the body. Is it just jumping up and down when it's cold?

9. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Ok. Ya I recently noticed it when it is cold out and I turn my lights on.

10. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Ok. Ya I recently noticed it when it is cold out and I turn my lights on.
    It's your grid heater cycling that's making your charge go up and down. Once it warms up and you start going down the road it levels out doesn't it? If so, it's normal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast