Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Filtration

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Oil Filtration

I finally found a source in my area for the Donaldson ELF7349 oil filter (soon to be DBL7349, same filter new paint). I do not want to start a filter war here, I will just say from the published specs, this appears to be the best filter for my 6.7 Cummins in a 2012 Ram 3500.
    My questions are:
    How difficult is it to install a bypass filter?
    What brand is a good one, or are there even options?
    How hard are they to mount?
    Are they worth the cost?

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

I use a plain dual filter setup which seems to work better than the bypass system. And it's a 1/3 of the price. I have a remote setup which uses 2 Fleetguard standard 3 micron. I have close to 6000 miles on my oil and just now can't see through it on the dipstick. The bypass setup didn't do that.

It's not a war at all. It's just a matter of economics and preference.

My argument with the bypass filters is the bypass 10% of the oil flow, but only 1% of the oil is filtered overall. 3 Micron is more than enough

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

If you are running a 3 micron main filter how are you getting a proper flow rate? That is very restrictive! From what I have read if you run a good main filter like the Fleetguard LF16305 Stratapor or the Donaldson ELF 7349 (which is 100% @ 20 micron and over 98% at 15 micron) and a 2 micron bypass filter guys are getting 20K-25K miles out of their oil doing oil analysis, This is changing the main filter at 5K miles intervals and the bypass at the 20K or 25K miles.

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ywgbandit View Post
    If you are running a 3 micron main filter how are you getting a proper flow rate? That is very restrictive! From what I have read if you run a good main filter like the Fleetguard LF16305 Stratapor or the Donaldson ELF 7349 (which is 100% @ 20 micron and over 98% at 15 micron) and a 2 micron bypass filter guys are getting 20K-25K miles out of their oil doing oil analysis, This is changing the main filter at 5K miles intervals and the bypass at the 20K or 25K miles.
    You're right. It's not 3 Micron, it's 30. Even at that, 2 of them in tandem will catch allot of shtuff. And I have magnets on them as well. Either way, I can't justify the high cost of the Amsoil filters when I can't go wrong with Cummins approved filters. We're talking engine oil here, not blood. That said, why am I getting more life out of my oil with 2 fleetguards vs. the amsoil bypass system?

I did some internet searching on the Amsoil. The 080 filter is 15 micron. Talking about restriction.

I bad and i apologize for the misinformation. Thanks for correcting me. Some things just don't stick like they used too. I suffer from oldtimers.

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Following. I'm very interested in this as well.

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I was under the impression the Fleetguard is 3 micron. I don't remember where i read that. I'm running Fleetguards 3349's. And last I knew, the Amsoil pypass was supposed to be running 5 and a 1.

Either way, I am still seeing better results than I did with the bypass so far. Looking at the oil every year now when I dump makes me think I can go further on it. I go 10 to 12K before dumping weather it needs it or not.

I don't buy into all those gimmicks. Oil analysis? If in doubt, change it.

If that were the case, how are you getting fuel through your Fass filter with such a tiny pump?

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

The Donaldson ELF7349 (soon to be DBL7349) is 100%@ 20 microns, 98.7%@15 microns and it's still around 50%@ 7 microns with better gallons per min flow rate than any other filter I could find. It's because of the proprietary synthetic filter media. If you run that filter with a 2 micron bypass, you are going to remove a lot of contaminates. Two filters in a row will have the capacity to hold more contaminates than one filter for sure, but they aren't going to remove any contaminates below the minimum micron size the individual filter is rated for, which on the Fleetguard Stratapore is approximately 14 micron. Even though only 10% of the flow goes thru the bypass filter per pass, eventually it all goes thru and you will have oil with virtually no contaminates below 2 microns and that has to reduce wear and make the oil last much longer. We know the oil doesn't really break down it gets contaminated and the contaminates change the oils properties....remove the contaminates and the oil stays in spec for a lot longer. I may not get a bypass system myself because they are costly, and I don't put many miles on a year, but if I was putting a lot of miles on every year I sure would.

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Agreed but there are two points about that

As the filter ages in use, the pores get smaller and the filtration gradually becomes finer. Contaminants like combustion acids are not trapped in the elements. Some can get trapped in the solids. As the filter becomes saturated the flow reduces. I'll see if I can spell it. It's called Coalescing. I will admit, pushing a filter too far will eventually let contaminants back into the system. That's why it's important to change them in regular intervals. I change my oil once a year, but the filters twice. I still do that, even with my average mileage falling down to 10K A year.

The Bypass is a good idea, but you are reintroducing the finer filtered back together. I fail to see any advantage of that. It's only 10%

Most big trucks I have worked on have 2 regular filters side by side like mine. I personally think it's just to extend the life of the unit, increase oil capacity and additional cooling of the oil.

I didn't have too much mechanical in college. we took a short course on hydraulics which included filtration. We learned about Microns, but heck! That was 46 years ago! The principle is the same.

I look at it this way. Guys are getting a million miles out of 5.9's and the deleted 6.7's are starting to show very high mileage on plain old stock filters. I still cannot justify the extra costs for this bypass system. After seeing the difference of the results between the 2 systems myself, My system seems to be doing an better job over all at 25% the cost of purchase and maintenance. I'm not one for propaganda from manufacturers. Banks is a good example. those guys defy gravity .

Interesting debate.

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I personally have seen steve's set up at 1 2 3 and about 5K miles i have seen the oil is still see through. as for a bypass system, I have yet to see one in a truck. I have the same question steve does, with that 10% being reintroduced to the oil, it would pick up contaminates, but i guess as each 10% goes through it would be less and less, eventually virtually eliminating it.

my other question is installing it on a truck that is not new, how long would that 2 micron last? How much 2 micron junk is sitting in our oil pans that doesnt come out with an oil change? that is then sent through that filter. does it stress the oil pump more to push 10% through a filter like that? How often would you need to change the 2 micron filter?

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

10. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Following

In pursuit of more power in which the wallet will allow mods to date. Edge Evolution, Banks Air Filter, 5" cat back Banks Monster exhaust, Billet built auto trans Triple disc TC, Derale trans cooler, Sinister coolant filter,5" aluminum drive shafts
    Gary

http://igotacummins.com/vbrides.php?...3#.VT-wuiFVhBc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast