Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rpms jump 200-500 while driving down the road sometimes with the ac and sometimes w/o

1. Top Of Page | #1

Rpms jump 200-500 while driving down the road sometimes with the ac and sometimes w/o

01 dodge 2500 4x4 w the 5.9 w only a lil over 100000 miles

2. Top Of Page | #2
    I thought it was the battery cables changed them didn't do it at all last week then did it 2 me once 2day!! The only code that shows up is P1492 battery temp sensor changed it but still shows up

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Could be the TPS You'd have to test both of them. Yes there are two under that black cover.

Are you sure the drive train isn't slipping somewhere?

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Top Of Page | #4
    TPS?? I really don't think its slipping cause its more when the ac is on if I turn it off it will stop doing it!! The tranny was just rebuilt I'd say less than 15000 ago

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

TPS Throttle Position Sensor There's 2 of them that runs on tandem

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Top Of Page | #6
    How do I go about testing them can I do it myself

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I guess if you know how to use a multimeter. You want to look for smooth operation. Because your problem is erratic, you may have a hard time.

Does the RPM tend to jump up while you are driving with the AC on? Or when sitting still?

8. Top Of Page | #8
    While driving at a constant speed

9. Top Of Page | #9
    Well I've been told by a very well knows shop that the TPS and APPS are the same thing!! They send a voltage reading to a solenoid that tells the torque converter to lock in or unlock so that's what has been causing the surges going down the road

10. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Fine. I sent you in the right direction. But that has nothing to do with the AC unless it's the extra heat causing it. I know in the 3rd gen, one of the TPS's have control of the cooling fans. Not sure on the converter, but the lock up is based on speed. Seems to me you still have a kick down cable. I never studdied it, but there may be a tie between the two. The trans has a separate box

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast