Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Replacing A/C Compressor

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Inactive Vendor

User Info Menu

Replacing A/C Compressor

I need to replace the A/C Compressor in my 07 5.9. What else needs to be done with this? I have never done any A/C work before, so this is a new project for me. Any help/instructions/pictures/etc would be much appreciated.

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

For the warranty need to replace dryer/collector, orifice and at least flush rest of system. 6.7s have crimped in orifice so have to replace liquid line( not sure if 5.9s the same) for flushing O'riellys has an aerosol can for it that works great. (Grab a couple cans, one is just enough for condensor) then blow it out with air compressor. You'll also need to get the A/C disconnect tools (anywhere from $10-100 depending on how fancy) I personally like the set of 4 that looks like plastic collars. You'll also need a vaccuum pump and set of gauges. Now if yours needs liquid line replaced (or even if replaceable orifice my bet is it'll be same location) you'll have to pull the battery tray on passenger side. Which means inner fender and air box comes out too. Pretty straightforward really.

3. Thanks J&S Engine Lube thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Technically the system should be evacuated before charging. You are only allow 2% by volume of air.

If you wanted too, don't tell the tree huggers

You can charge it, then blow the charge out to purge the air. Then you can recharge it.

Compressor failure is mandatory flushing of the system, oil recharge, and they strongly recommend the Dryer and orifice tube.

I have the specs for the 5.9 AC systems if you need them. Gauges help

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Thanks J&S Engine Lube thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Re: Replacing A/C Compressor

No need to remove inner fender