User Info Menu

Tone Ring Mod

First question is, has anyone tried it?

What you need to know:
    1 its 100% reversible
    2 It only takes your time no cost.

How to:

Tone ring mod = MPG gain

This mod is free for the 3rd gens other than a little bit of time under the truck, So heres the deal: Basically, it is doing about the same thing as the RokkTech Cam sensor by advancing the timing 2 maybe 3 degrees. Behind the Crank Pulley for the serpentine belt there is a Tone Ring. It has 4 bolt holes and a dowel pin hole. Take off the belt, loosen up the crank pulley and remove, the tone ring will then slide off. Now you will see the tone ring has the 4 bolt holes and an alignment pin, use a Dremel tool or a good round file and remove about an eighth inch off the left side of the hole as you look at the front of the tone ring, don't worry about taking too much off and the 4 bolts will only allow the tone ring to adjust so far. Now reinstall the tone ring and the belt sheave and finger tight the 4 bolts, install serpentine belt and make sure it is clear of the crank position sensor as it is a close tolerance . Now with the bolts just finger tight rotate the tone ring in a clock wise rotation as far as it will go...........this is looking at the FRONT of the motor. Secure the 4 bolts to 30ft.lbs. plus another 60 degrees per manual ( weird I know) So the end result is you just advanced your timing about 2 or 3*. This mod is very simple to do and well worth the time, If you have a manual tranny it will be easy to do the bolts, if you have an auto tranny you will need a hammer to loosen them so the motor just doesn't rotate. Also check the bolt torque again after a week or so.

Tools needed
    15mm socket and breaker bar or ratchet long handle.
    hammer if auto tranny
    dremmel tool or good small round file
    1/2" ratchet for the belt tensioner

Other useful info! each tooth is 3 degrees and each gap is 3 degrees. Thought this may be helpful, for those of you concidering a crank tone ring mod, in figuring the advance you want.

Overall explanation of what you are doing:
    tone ring has [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]nubbins[/COLOR][/COLOR] that the sensor reads as the crank turns and sends signal to ECM where timing is controled or set

in a nut shell we are basically rotating the tone ring to falsify the timing so the ECM will adjust for us

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

2. Thanks Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes Polaraco liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Yeah OK But what happens with a tuner? Can't it advance too much?

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I have no tuner currently so it shouldn't matter. I am not sure how it will react to a tuner.

2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

6 in a row makes her go

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I checked and researched, it seems as though it can be used with a tuner. it is essentially a different way of getting the same results as buying a Rokktech timing advance sensor.

2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty

6 in a row makes her go

6. Top Of Page | #5
    guru of all things diesel Canadiandiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

yes this works, however on the later 05+ engines this would work better, on the early 03-04 it doesn't effect much, they run better with higher rp then the late ones,
    there was a few tests over on comp d about it.

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

is it worth doing to my 03?

2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty

6 in a row makes her go

8. Top Of Page | #7
    guru of all things diesel Canadiandiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

if your bored yep, if busy nope, it did show a .5 increase however up the rail pressure and you will do alot more ontop of it

9. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I may kill an hour tomorrow and do it.

2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty

6 in a row makes her go

10. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Thanks Spenser

I am thinking the Edge is doing more fuel than timing and it's effecting my fuel economy. My mileage went down since the edge and it smokes more, even with the 50's.

When you did it on your truck, was that with a tuner or without?

I was thinking, and Alex and I just talked about this, about locating an 04/05 ECU and using that. As far as I have been able to find out, it's all the Same except for the engine controls. I just don't know if there are any additional sensors on the later engine. Don't have any of that info anywhere or access too, short of calling my dealer buddy who is clueless on the diesels. He can only equate to history

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

11. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

@Canadiandiesel

What if. . .

Could we put a 04.5 ECU in our 03 trucks? Last I knew, everything was the same other than the HP manipulation up to 06. Anyone ever try it?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast