Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake lights on...

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Brake lights on...

So electrical gurus.... having an issue with the truck. Turn the key on and the brake lights come on... Which also activates the trailer brakes then too if i have the trailer on. Trailer plug wiring is good, have a good trailer brake controller in the truck(lights come on whether controller is plugged in or not). All fuses are good and work. Just replaced the brake switch, still happens. Lights are not on with key off and with key off brake lights work properly.... Help?

2007 cummins 2500.

~Trevor~ aka TPain!

-2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

2. Top Of Page | #2
    guru of all things diesel Canadiandiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

Sounds like a issue with the light switch itself, back feeding from somewhere

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

It was jus replaced...

~Trevor~ aka TPain!

-2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boostf3d_TSi View Post
    It was jus replaced...
    You replaced the switch because of this problem? Or it started then. What else electrically has been done?

You might want to start checking grounds all over the place. You'll need a wiring diagram. I've seen bad bulbs do funky things

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Yes if this started after the change of the switch I would check there first if it was doing this before the change I would start going over all the ground wires as palarco mentioned above.

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Started before. Changed the switch cuz it was the most common issue and cheap.

~Trevor~ aka TPain!

-2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Was anyrthing else electrical done to the truck recently?

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Top Of Page | #8
    Permanent Vacation Calibrated Addiction's Avatar

User Info Menu

Did you reset the brake switch when you installed it? Pull it all the way out?

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Trailer plug was installed a week ago. But everything seemed to work just fine until a few days ago.

~Trevor~ aka TPain!

-2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

10. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Terror Custom Tuning View Post
    Did you reset the brake switch when you installed it? Pull it all the way out?
    The problem I have with that Luke is the brake lights work without the key. There is nothing in the trailer plug that works with the key either other than the turn signals. I would be going back in there and making sure a strand of wire isn't jumping across something though. . ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast