Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1976 dodge dart CUMMINS12 valve swap HELP!

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

1976 dodge dart CUMMINS12 valve swap HELP!

Alright fellas I'm brand new on the forum, I'm looking for really any info that will help in the build I'm planning. I own a 76 DDart coupe and I'm going to swap a 5.9 12 valve into it.
    i realize this will be a lot of work and am willing and prepared to do it. What I lack is proper tools and know how. I also lack a donor truck which I know I will need. You guys know anywhere here in south ab where I might be able to find a 94-98 2 wd auto cummins? I've exhausted kijiji for now and can't seem to find one quite yet. Also I'd like to do some ground work before I get the truck and prep the car as much as I can to make the swap as simple as possible. Any suggestions for front suspension upgrades?
    Any other suggestions are very welcome.
    Jonathan

2. Likes david3gen liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Subscribed.

"The grass is greener where you water it"

4. Thanks Jonathan Payne thanked for this post
    Likes david3gen liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

You may want to check with K-sons they maybe able to help you find parts and donor trucks. Also before you even get to the front suspension you are going to need to reinforce the frame as much as possible. Next you will need to find someone who can modify the rear end for you because the Dart Rear will not hold this torque and the Rear from the truck I am pretty sure will not fit. While you are doing that you mise-well begin tubing it because you are going to need all the rubber you can get to get traction with the torque levels the diesels produce unless you plan on stock motor being swapped in. Now onto suspension first start would be compare the weight differences between stock motor and the one going in. Work with companies to get a set-up to handle this, you may need to do a custom coilover set-up to keep the front stiff. Definitely a lot to look at on this project but will be very interesting to see it all come together.

6. Likes david3gen liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

What are your plans for such a beast? If dedicated drag I'd look and see if I couldn't find a build thread on another forum for the "cumstang"

8. Likes david3gen liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

That thing will look like a corkscrew if you don't brace it right. I'm a long time Mopar Guy and know the A Bodies well

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

10. Likes david3gen liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    That thing will look like a corkscrew if you don't brace it right. I'm a long time Mopar Guy and know the A Bodies well

I agree after owning and building several Darts, Dusters and Valiants. The odd torsion bar broke on a few of my A body cars when I started to add more torque and hp. BBs were harder on front end parts but even the small block cars would break things.

I would suggest a full tube frame for the weight, engine placement and extreme torque potential of a Cummins 5.9 What engine is in the Duster now?

12. Likes Polaraco, david3gen liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I like the concept though. Never heard of a Cummins in a small Mopar. Everybody does those Chebbys (Now I have to go brush my teeth). Even then it's a mid size.. I think the Nova bodies would be in the same boat as the Dart.

What the Hey! Go find a Chevette or a Vega! You're probably too young to even know what they are. . . . . .

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

14. Likes david3gen liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    I like the concept though. Never heard of a Cummins in a small Mopar. Everybody does those Chebbys (Now I have to go brush my teeth). Even then it's a mid size.. I think the Nova bodies would be in the same boat as the Dart.

What the Hey! Go find a Chevette or a Vega! You're probably too young to even know what they are. . . . . .
    Hey now old timer!!!! I know what those cars are and I'm one of those "damn kids" LOL. I strongly believe cars and music are timeless no matter how old you are, you should at least have heard of those that paved the way

16. Likes david3gen liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9
    guru of all things diesel Canadiandiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

Ah the Vega the Wagons were the best when you threw in a 455 and gave it hell

18. Likes david3gen liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thewildkarrd View Post
    Hey now old timer!!!! I know what those cars are and I'm one of those "damn kids" LOL. I strongly believe cars and music are timeless no matter how old you are, you should at least have heard of those that paved the way
    I was there when fire was discovered. A guy named Mel Brooks discovered it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast