Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  20
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 1976 dodge dart CUMMINS12 valve swap HELP!

1. Top Of Page | #31
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I hate to discourage anyone form their intended purpose...but I have to agree with the others. That poor A-body will not survive with a cummins 6BT in it, nor the construction process You might be able to make a 4BT work.

You are going to have to cut, and modify so much of the car to make this intended drive train work, that you will have major issue. Your engine set-back will probably have the back of the motor sitting about where the radio face plate is sitting now. Then there is the narrow tunnel between the torsion bars...probably will not be able to clear tranny, so they will have to be removed.

Now that you've removed the main supporting items from the front suspension, you will now have to re-engineering a complete front suspension system. Then there is the unibody construction. With 1200+ pounds of cummins and tranny those front frame rails will buckle under the strain. As stated you will be better off building a square tube frame from scratch. Or at teh very least you will require subframe connectors, and a major drag racing cage inside the car to tie all the ends together.

These are just a few of the issues I can think of off the top of my head...sure there are a 100 more to consider. I know you have your heart, and mind set on this combo...but you need to re-think things. This is not a wise course to be taking.

2. Likes Polaraco liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #32

User Info Menu

The torsion bars would never handle the weight. Then you need to consider the rear suspension and axle.

The good thing is the weight is going back so the rear suspension will share the weight more. You'll have to tub the firewall. As Stu mentioned, you'll not have the width with the T Bar suspension. You might want to find a pick up chassis and narrow it to fit under the car

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Top Of Page | #33
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Just to throw another idea out there... What if he went mid-mount with the engine and used a transaxle?

5. Top Of Page | #34
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thewildkarrd View Post
    Just to throw another idea out there... What if he went mid-mount with the engine and used a transaxle?
    That would put the engine somewhere between the front seats. Not going to work. LOL

The only way I can see this project being done is to build a chassis and use the Duster body as a skin. Lots of guys build vehicles like this for race purposes...not sure about a daily driver though.

6. Top Of Page | #35

User Info Menu

Oh I dunno Stu. A decent 1/2 ton chassis, narrowed and shortened might work. I'd have to measure it, but I'd say the leaning tower of power isn't that much shorter. Maybe a few inches. I'm betting the fire wall will have to go go back to the dash. That will mess up the wipers. Definitely a challenge. Maybe the doner chassis will work

It's going to have to sit pretty deep though. It will have to go back enough to allow for the large rad needed. Electric fans will be wise. Inter cooler, maybe. Have to convert to Hydro boost brakes. Unless the engine has a vac pump on it.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

7. Top Of Page | #36

User Info Menu

did you ever end up doing this project ?

8. Top Of Page | #37

User Info Menu

Re: 1976 dodge dart CUMMINS12 valve swap HELP!

Ok i realize this is an old thread. But this has got my interest peaked.... Ive got a spare 12valve sitting in my shop, and 68 Dodge dart sedan. Im thinking a dedicated diesel drag car...would do really well in the diesel drags....

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Power247 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #38

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Payne View Post
    Alright fellas I'm brand new on the forum, I'm looking for really any info that will help in the build I'm planning. I own a 76 DDart coupe and I'm going to swap a 5.9 12 valve into it.
    i realize this will be a lot of work and am willing and prepared to do it. What I lack is proper tools and know how. I also lack a donor truck which I know I will need. You guys know anywhere here in south ab where I might be able to find a 94-98 2 wd auto cummins? I've exhausted kijiji for now and can't seem to find one quite yet. Also I'd like to do some ground work before I get the truck and prep the car as much as I can to make the swap as simple as possible. Any suggestions for front suspension upgrades?
    Any other suggestions are very welcome.
    Jonathan
    Wow bud that is one hell of a swap don't really believe that your vehicle is going to be able to handle the weight and or torque that the Cummins has and puts out Have you thought about the 4BT would be a lot more easier for you to accomplish and you can get major torque and horsepower out of this motor also ?

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

11. Top Of Page | #39

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN View Post
    Wow bud that is one hell of a swap don't really believe that your vehicle is going to be able to handle the weight and or torque that the Cummins has and puts out Have you thought about the 4BT would be a lot more easier for you to accomplish and you can get major torque and horsepower out of this motor also ?
    Hk If they can put one in an 06 dodge charger then it can be done in an old A-body and I aim to prove it.

12. Likes Cummins7, Power247 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #40

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Windycreek View Post
    Hk If they can put one in an 06 dodge charger then it can be done in an old A-body and I aim to prove it.

Agreed Windy I never said that it couldn't be done I just said it is going to be one hell of a lot of work and fabrication and every other thing nothing is Impossible when you put in the time and energy and ingenuity

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

14. Likes Windycreek liked this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast