Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shock Extenders 1/2 - 13 Nobody makes these

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Shock Extenders 1/2 - 13 Nobody makes these

You know I just finished rebuilding and raising my front end om my 2WD Ram 3500. It turns out the shock stroke is too short.

I did a little bit of homework and found the threads on the Monroe and KYB have a 1/2 - 13 thread on the shaft. Easy fix

Apparently nobody makes a shock extension for our trucks. So, with that said. . . .

2- 4" 1/2-13 threaded rod
    2- 1/2-13 rod couplers
    4- 10-24 socket head set screws
    2- 1/2-13 nuts and lock washers

Drill and tap the rod coupler for the 10-24 set screws.

Cut 2- 4" pieces of threaded rod. Remember to put a nut on first so you can chase the threads after cutting.

With the nut on, grind a square on the top of the shaft so you have something to hold onto when tightening.

Run the threaded rod into the coupler about 3/4" of the way or about an inch into the coupler. You need 3" sticking out. Set the screw. You don't have too, but I used never seize. This is important. Wrap the bottom 1 1/2 inches with a couple of turns of really good electrical tape to prevent chafing by the threads. There isn't much movement. I didn't wrap these until I get the shock bushings out to get the height.

When you take the shocks out, grind the flat off the top of the shock shaft to gain that extra 1/2 inch. Thread your couplers on the shock, set the screws and re-install. I am starting with 1/2 nuts and lock washers, but you can use oval or nylon lock nuts. They're just harder to tighten. I think the lock washers will work fine.

The factory stroke is 6 3/4" You're moving the shock down about 2". If I measured this right, I should have an inch to spare on the up stroke. But then again that's before the lift.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

2. Likes Rockwerx liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Or buy Bilstien 5100's that have the travel.... Good idea for a budget quick fix, or if just got new shocks

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Mine are just a year old. I'm not ready to change them yet. That's why I came up with this

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Man! I gotta get your job. $300 a piece? Are they nutz?

6. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Idk where you found $300 a pop... That's what I paid all the way around

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

You're probably right. I took my medicine, got drunk and looked for them. Just kidding
    I forget where it was. I looked them up by curiosity and found that page. 300 a set makes more sense. But I wasn't so sure they had them for my t ruck

8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I had the time to install one of those extenders. Had to do a wheel bearing on that side too. Worked perfect. The drop was 2" as I figured. I'll do the other tomorrow

9. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Cool stuff. Glad it worked out for you. Gotta ask tho, any reason you went with shock extenders instead of making a modified shock tower for it to mount to? Fingers crossed they hold up and don't cause any issues

10. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Yeah! It's a 2 wheel drive. It's in the frame. I don't have a removable tower like you do.

They'll be fine. I don't BaHa with it sooo. . . . Like the 4X4, the shocks go straight up and down. Not much opportunity to bend them. especially with the new bushings

11. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Ahhh Okee. They certainly look beefy enough to hold up LOL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast