Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAN OF OUT FUEL!! what to do!!??

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Instagram Manager IG Operations's Avatar

User Info Menu

RAN OF OUT FUEL!! what to do!!??

so i myself just recent ran my truck out of fuel.. i know you're not supposed to... but my fuel gauge is not working, and i reset my truck, and forgot how many miles i had.. and being my first diesel, i was not informed about the procedure to start your truck back up AFTER you have ran out of fuel. I'm writing this based on my 2000 5.9 24v. should be the same from 98 to early 2002's. non 3rd gen( think they started an automatic system which made it easier then?) i have had tons of help from everyone, and everyone gave me differnt opinions for what they did. Heres some instructions sent to me by a member, check them out if you please.
    http://en.allexperts.com/q/Truck-Rep...9L-Cummins.htm
    http://www.ehow.com/how_7938417_blee...gs-diesel.html

I had another manual, but not available to me right now. the last one said to loosen the banjo bolt and crank the engine till fuel drips from the banjo bolt. i might be able to get pictures later. after that it said to crack the injectors loose. they called for 4,5,6. EVEN though the above manual says 3,4 and 5.. injector 1 is CLOSEST to the firewall, and injector 6 is closest to your grille. everything takes a 3/4" wrench. (banjo and injector fittings) but if you're like me, and have an intake elbow you can not reach injector 5 with a wrench. so i focused on injector 3,4,6. (i dont think 6 was necessary)

BUT i found it very helpful, and many suggested to buy a new filter and MANUALLY FILL your fuel filter with diesel and tighten the cap back down. NOW, you have diesel at the banjo bolt, the fuel filter is filled, last thing to do is crack the injectors open slightly. IF you only have yourself, good luck with this next part. I'd start at injector 3, seems like everytime i played with that i had better luck. slightly loosen injector 3 and have someone attempt to start your truck, have them hold the key in till a nice steady flow of diesel is coming out from the fitting, WHILE THE DIESEL IS SPILLING/SHOOTING OUT TIGHTEN THE FITTING BACK. and move to number 4, repeat starting and tighten when you see a nice flow. if it hasn't started by now, you may try number 6, then go back to number 3. by this point, you should be back up and running.

some side notes... NEVER USE starting fluid.. these arent gas motors.. youre highly advised againts ethers. youll need a 3/4' drive to open the fuel filter canister. to help fill the pump, turn your key to on position and "BUMP' the key, your fuel pump will pump for 25 seconds on itself. DO NOT try turning the motor over for more than 30 seconds at a time. and let 2 minutes for the batteries to sit in between each 30 second turn over. DONT ATTEMPT WHILE HOT unless you have proper safety equipment.. the injectors and build extreme pressure. also try to have a rag to wipe up excess diesel.

once you get her to run, the truck may sound irratic, and sound funny.. there might still be a small amount of air in the system, give it a few minutes to run so it can work itself out. i waited 10 minutes and i was fine.

any question please ask, it seems like everyone has done it. and it took me 3 days to figure out how to do it so please ask.
    thank you jared

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Tag us @ #igotacummins_com to have your photos reposted.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

That's the banjo bolt diagram

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

And this is An injector fitting

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Sadly I also forgot to mention GET MORE DIESEL FIRST. I mean common sense but just saying. They call for at least 5 gallons but I did 8 gallons

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Good write up I am closing and sticky this

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Same thing i did when mine ran out. Fuel gauges are notorious for going out so i only trust mileage. At under a half a tank im out of diesel completly. Good info though!

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Am I correct on this? The 97 has a mechanical lift pump? Or is it electric? The mechanical has a primer pump lever built into it.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

my 97 was mechanical

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

10. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Gish I forget. And i did mine just a couple weeks ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast