Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil filters

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Oil filters

I have heard that there are issues with the fram oil filters and using them on the cummins. I just learned this and I've been using the fram filters. I had my oil analyzed and they said I could go to around 9k miles in between oil changes. I don't want to do this if frams are that bad. What is a good filter that will go the distance with good filtering?

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Fleetgaurd LF7317 bypass filter is one of the better ones. Baldwin BD7317 is also a bypass filter. Or Fleetgaurd LF16035 regular filter.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

There are 2 issues with the Fram. They use a generic bypass and the media is sub standard. When the truck is cold, and the oil pressure is real high, it has a tendency to force the bypass open. Eventually that spring weakens and it will stay open at normal 40 PSI, which is around where these motor run. I have heard the media tends to start to break up too. But I have never seen that. I don't believe that, but I know the bypass being always open bypasses the filter media. So the rumors go. I just learned the Fram problems a week ago. Interesting this came up.

Baldwin and Fleetguard all the way

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I'm currently running a FG Lf9028! I know it's for a kubota but the dual bypass function led me to try it. Submitted a sample with 6750 miles and blackstone said I could go up to 8k. Will send sample and change filter when I get there and see how it's looking! Oil pressure remained the same nothing different! Before that I was running the FG lf16035 and that's the filter ran when I got my oil analyzed.

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

The bypass filters I mentioned have dual filter media to clean the oil to a higher degree than just one filter media.

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Bypass is for clogged media. You don't want them in bypass mode. We should be harping on filter media quality

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Rather than running a seprate by-pass filter system like an Amsoil system, running a by-pass filter like the LF7317 is a way to keep the engine oil clean without changing a thing other than the filter it self. Much more reliable IMO as I know of a few people that blew their engines when a hose on the by-pass filter started leaking. The filter media in the latest Fleetgaurd filters are amongst the best ever produced.

8. Likes Polaraco liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

How long is everyone here going between oil changes? U going by miles or hours? Anyone basing changes off oil analysis and what they find?

10. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Filter every 5k, oil 10k Blackstone tells me I'm good for 12-15 depending on if it's race season so good insurance to change a bit early.

11. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thewildkarrd View Post
    Filter every 5k, oil 10k Blackstone tells me I'm good for 12-15 depending on if it's race season so good insurance to change a bit early.
    Not bad at all!! What oil u running?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast