Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Minimax EGT probe

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Minimax EGT probe

So out of curiosity used my infrared temp gun on the manifold the other day to see the difference between temp where the probe is and combined just before turbo. Probe is in the rear egr cooler block off plate, mini was saying 305°, gun read 395 at the probe a bit of a difference, then just before turbo 432° kinda worried about the disparity in displayed temp and actual temp

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

I bet it's that Harbor freight laser. I have one. It's all over the place. I got it to read which injector was bad on a 12 valve. It was close enough.

If you had just driven the truck, it takes the iron a while to cool off while it's running. Hit it with a CO2 fire extinguisher. LOL

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I did just pull in to the driveway after a 30 min cruise down the hwy... Lemme go check which one I laser I have... Don't remember for sure, but I thought I bought it off a tool truck

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Raytek brand laser gun... Now time to see if I can check the "calibration" somehow

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Checking it open air, against a meat thermometer, thermometer in water on the stove... It's 2° higher than all my other temperature devices... I'd say temp gun is pretty close to on

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I'll test it out in the morning before I take off. See how big of a disparity there is that way

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thewildkarrd View Post
    I did just pull in to the driveway after a 30 min cruise down the hwy... Lemme go check which one I laser I have... Don't remember for sure, but I thought I bought it off a tool truck
    Well there you go! Tool truck. LOL I paid the mortgage on a Matco truck. Only because the guy was convenient. I've gone SK since and but from Amazon. I never saw him again.

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

LOL I think I litterally bought the MATCO tool truck, tools, convenience in warrantys, we didn't even have a Sears where I lived. I've got quite a few SK tools too.

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

anyway, we should stick to the topic. . . . Maybe the probe is caked with soot?

10. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Possible, I'll shoot it again tomorrow before the truck ever moves, if it's still a big difference between temp gun and pyro reading I'll pull the prob later and visual inspect/clean and try again

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast