User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Keep it up Joker
    I could just start calling you Sir.....

2. Top Of Page | #32

User Info Menu

Pucker up while I drop trow

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Top Of Page | #33

User Info Menu

No he's mrs lmfao

4. Top Of Page | #34
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Update for this mod.

It works without a pump! As soon as I opened the valve I could hear fuel going into the main tank. I left the fuel cap on and it topped the main tank off. When I took the fuel filler cap off a bubble of air and a bit of fuel burst out so I will be more careful next time and open it slowly to let the air pressure equalize.

Next test I will try leaving the fill valve open while driving to see if it will draw fuel and vent properly. So far I do not for see any problems. It will be interesting to see what the ECM calculates for DTE as the tank should stay full until my slip tank is empty.

5. Top Of Page | #35

User Info Menu

I think the CPU figures it based on the fuel level at that time. Means the mileage will probably stand still until it was able to drop that last point. Or you shut the truck off

Is it possible to over fill that way? I have a 20 gal tank, but with a pump. I would love to come up with a quick disconnect for the tank hose and just let it drain as I go.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Top Of Page | #36
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Update on this mod. The ECM does not read DTE properly if I leave the fuel valve open while traveling. The gauge would stay at full till the fuel stopped flowing from the big tank.

Eventually I had to add a small transfer pump as it would not gravity feed when the big tank got down around half full. Before I added the transfer pump in an emergency I had to use air pressure to aid the fuel transfer process. This happened when we were out in the middle of no where of course. Luck for me I had tools, parts and a means of adding air pressure fairly easy.

Now I am looking for a timer, something like one off a semi truck battery charger. The ones that you wind up and set for up to two hours would work well. The way it is now I have to monitor the fuel transfer so I do not over fill the tank. If it was on a timer I could set it on the safe side (say 10 minutes) and then I can go do other things while it is filling and not worry about it over filling. So far I have over filled it once...only lost a bit of fuel but I do not wish to repeat that process.

7. Thanks Weeseven thanked for this post
    Likes Weeseven liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #37
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I have an in bed 110 gal tank and it is gravity fed to the main, which is a 60 gal tank. It has a vent hose from the top of the tank that is just routed to the side of the bed where there is a hole and I let it hang down through there to keep the bed clean. The liquid flow leave the bottom of the tank through a shut off valve then through the drain hole in the front of the bed. It goes under the bed and to a solinoid valve I installed on the bottom of the truck bed, attaching it to the channels. This valve is electrically activated to open, for it is a normally closed valve, and the liquid then flow to the truck fill hose between the fuel fill lid and the top of the tank. I have a switch in the cab that is electrical fed from the engine compartment fues box. The electrical supply id from a fuse that is key on active only.

So, when I'm traveling down the road, when the main is getting low, I activate the switch in the cab, it opens the valve allowing the fuel to fill the main tank, and when it hits the full make I shut the valve off via the switch. If I'm filling whule driving and deside to stop for coffee, restroom or what ever, and I forget to shut the switch off, when I take the key from the ignition, it closes the valve. When I start up and drive, it keeps filling.

One thing I found out was when you have it gravity filled and do not have a controlled shutoff, sooner or later your fuel cap gasket will have a leak like a crack in the gasket, not fit properly or what ever, and allow it to overfill and leak fuel to grade.
    With the normally closed electrically controlled solenoid switch and tied to the key active fuse only, if it over fills, it's my fault, (because it's not filling while the truck is off and I'm not there).

Also: everything can go wrong, so when I made the plate to hold the solenoid, I incorporated in a by pass valve allowing me to bypass the solenoid and manually fill from the spare tank to the main tank. Most people never think of this.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

9. Thanks Weeseven thanked for this post
    Likes Weeseven, Rockwerx liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234