Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom exhaust through the body

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Custom exhaust through the body

say what you want about stacks, but has anyone ever done a hood stack? ive heard of people doin it by flippin the exhaust manifold upside down so the turbo is mounted in a different spot but then the air filter is really small. just some pictures and descriptions would be appreciated thanks.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

for what reason? BTW some states that will not pass inspection

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

3. Top Of Page | #3
    guru of all things diesel Canadiandiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

I have and it was fun for a bit, verify first that your legal to do it, hate to see you do all that work and get tickets, and yes manifold upside down sorta like doing twin install, but who ever is telling you small filter is dumb. And while accelerating you will not be able to see out the passenger side of the windshild

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I'm not 100% on it being on the streets yet, I'm thinkin I'm just gonna build an offroad truck that'll get me through anything hah. Up here the cops are rather lenient but if you're bein a dick they'll pull yah over and inspect everything.
    I was also thinking about going out the passenger fender, ever see that or know how to do it?

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Same applies to going out the side when your going out the hood, leave a 1/2" gap around the exhaust for movement

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

What if I flex mount it and weld it directly to the body?

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Do you know what heat does to paint? How hot do you think a pipe out the side of a truck gets?

8. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I'm just makin ideas right now, I was thinkin bout Berliner on the whole thing. It's supposed to hold up to heat very well.

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Bedliner burns too.

I would think you'd need a couple of feet of flex pipe to allow enough flex without tearing it apart.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

10. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I have built a few off road crawlers over the years. We tried many different ideas for the exhaust systems. Going through the hood seemed like a good idea at the time however some of the problems it created made us change it back to go underneath the truck.

If a guy was just hooking up and pulling for a few moments at a time for competition (or drag racing) this idea works well. Off roading all day this idea sucked big time. We were always choking on diesel smoke and fumes if the wind was not in our favour.

I would run a single stack in the bed if you want to run a stack otherwise I would run it like stock under the truck and possibly out the side infront of the rear tire.

Good luck with your project! Post some pics when you get started!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast