Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel leak somewhere on top of my tank.

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Fuel leak somewhere on top of my tank.

Mainly just venting, but any tips or advice is always helpful... 09 6.7 with a Fass system on it, just recently started leaking fuel. Poking around, it's coming down the sides of the tank enough that Im betting its leaking up top. And bad enough that drivers side of the axle and diff is covered... Pretty sure it's getting worst too. Drove an hour today, got out with truck still running and could very clearly and easily smell the fuel.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Bummer Leave the cap on, but lose so the pressure doesn't build up in the tank.

If you have a draw straw, check the grommet on the top of the tank. Unless something chaifed a hole in the tank, there's only 2 places the fuel can come out. If there is a draw straw and the main unit.

By the way, drain the water out of those filters. Keep checking them until you find that leak.

Great time of year to have that problem unless you're down south

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

You can reach up there and feel to see if the locking ring is still in place. That's a pretty good sized hole to siphon like that.

I forgot to say, check the filler tube too. Make sure the neck isn't broken going into the tank. It could be your return hose too.

Grumpy 101

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I do have a draw straw, figured on it either being where it, or stock pump sealed on top, or one of the fittings up there. With the amount of fuel coating the bottom of the truck and axle, I have this feeling that it's my return line... That and when I noticed the smell earlier today I was sitting at about half a tank, so doubt the straw, or stock pump seals would still be leaking at that point

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

If weather cooperates I'm hoping to be able to lift the bed tomorrow, or at least pivot it over towards the passenger side to give me some more room

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Oh, and no worries on draining filters grumpy, it's done twice a month. Stopped filling up at the Maverick, and started using stanadyn and havent had a drop of water since

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

From what I can see, my money is on the filler hose where it come into the tank... Waiting on the neighbors to get back from their beer run for help lifting the bed

8. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Side note while I'm waiting... Stock spare is 265/70/17... Currently running 35's worth my time to even bother putting it back underneath once I'm done?

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

It will work for short runs as a spare. I can get a 35" tire anywhere. LOL

Always be prepared.

10. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Return nipple on stock pump is broke... Question, is there a check valve on the pressure side that would prevent me from putting my return line over to that nipple?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast