Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Block shock

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Block shock

So i've had my truck for about 4 years now, and haven't had any major problems. lately i've been reading about the dreaded 53 block and all it's problems, so i thought i'd check mine out....... and yep sure enough there it is in big numbers "53".

The truck is a 2000 "build date 11/99" Sport model, with 165,000 miles on it, completely stock except exhaust.

I wanna know what everyone thinks, what are my chances of it cracking.....? should i be worried.....? should i send it down the road....? has anyone or does anyone have one, and if so what were your experiences?

The truck needs a few body panels and a paint job, which i was plannig on having done soon but now i'm not so sure.

Thanks!!!!!

2. Top Of Page | #2
    guru of all things diesel Canadiandiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

The 53 blocks are fine as long as your not running high hp

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moparbuckeye View Post
    So i've had my truck for about 4 years now, and haven't had any major problems. lately i've been reading about the dreaded 53 block and all it's problems, so i thought i'd check mine out....... and yep sure enough there it is in big numbers "53".

The truck is a 2000 "build date 11/99" Sport model, with 165,000 miles on it, completely stock except exhaust.

I wanna know what everyone thinks, what are my chances of it cracking.....? should i be worried.....? should i send it down the road....? has anyone or does anyone have one, and if so what were your experiences?

The truck needs a few body panels and a paint job, which i was plannig on having done soon but now i'm not so sure.

Thanks!!!!!
    Where did you end up finding 53 on the block? Is it easy to miss?

4. Top Of Page | #4
    guru of all things diesel Canadiandiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

Should be driver side, bottom

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Canadiandiesel View Post
    Should be driver side, bottom
    Okay, I never found any "53" on mine, was told it has a 55 block, just confirming, thanks

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Found mine on the passenger side right under the oil filter...... can't miss it.

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

200k on my 53. I've been told rpm is the killer causing high coolant pressure cracks block. Some crack some don't. I've run mine hard 429 at the wheels right now with a 35/40. I'm guna run mine till it cracks then go with the industrial 55...not industrial injection the industrial 55 comes out of ag equipment...really heavy duty if you got a 55 ur lucky there is a reason the pullers use the 55.

8. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

the dreaded "53" block is not something to worry bout if you have over 100,000 miles then you are safe. right now i got a 53 block pushing 780 hp with no block stiffners (gorilla plate or such). and i have seen many with 53 blocks that are fine.

9. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Thanks maybe I won't worry bout it and build it up. Eatin a little oil so I think it's time to go through it.

10. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

the biggest killer of all diesels is when its cold and you start it and dont let it warm up i know the sunvisor on dodges says 30 seconds but i always give it ten minutes sometimes longer depending on temp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast